Venice to the World now is over!
SAVE S.p.A. and Desall.com invite you to a new design and architecture challenge, relying on your creativity to furnish and enrich the new roundabout that will accompany the travellers of the world travelling from and to Venice, through the airport hub.
SAVE S.p.A. is looking for an architecture and design project for the renovation of the access roundabout that leads to the Marco Polo Venice airport, by realising an artistic structure that highlights the beauty and the values of the city.
For the correct realisation of your proposals, keep into consideration the following guidelines:
Project typology: you are invited to propose urban furniture and architecture projects for furnishing and decorating the main access roundabout of the airport area. Your project shall accompany the travellers from and to Venice, becoming a symbolical “gateway” for the city. You can also propose further declinations and other furnishing elements inspired by the main roundabout intended for the nearby area, that includes the airport boulevard (which has two minor roundabouts and several flowerbeds) and the parking area. These extra elements – if ever proposed – shall be consistent with the style of the main roundabout, to accompany the travellers in a gradual and coherent way.
Themes: your projects shall represent Venice in all its glory, celebrating what is most characteristic about the city and that makes it a unique place in the world. A few examples of the many themes you might develop are:
- “Veniceness”: what identifies Venice it its customs and traditions (gondolas, carnival, urban design, history, etc.)
- Flight: what reminds of the airplane as a means of transportation but not just that;
- Travel: the experience of who’s passionate about travelling, culture and adventure;
- Water: the most precious element of all, which makes Venice a magical place;
- The lagoon: the natural cove where Venice is built, with its peculiar shape and its particular morphology;
- Marco Polo: a real symbol of Travel, as well as a famous Venetian citizen.
You are nonetheless free to explore new themes and different approaches.
Setting: your projects shall be studied for the access area of the Marco Polo airport in Venice. For more information regarding the area, please refer to the Material files.
Characteristics: your projects shall be developed with a special attention to the setting, avoiding the creation of elements that might distract from driving or that might negatively affect road circulation. You can nonetheless employ signs bearing the “Venice Airport – Marco Polo” wording, lights or water effects.
Project constraints: for the correct realisation of your projects, keep into consideration the following constraints:
- Avoid the installation of lights that resemble traffic light colours and/or structures (flashing lights, red lights, green lights, etc.);
- Fountains or water effects: they are not prohibited, provided you attentively calculate the effect of the water splashes, also in windy conditions. You should remember that if the splash implies a great quantity of water, during winter time it could stick to the road surface and form an icy layer (to be avoided);
- Keep a 6mt free belt from the outer kerb towards the centre of the roundabout (see Material files for a visual example), in order to prevent vehicles from crashing against elements installed inside the 6 meters area, in the unfortunate event of a car accident.
Costs estimate: participants are also required to provide a rough costs estimate for the realisation and maintenance of the projects they propose.
Note well: since it is an urban furnishing project, we inform you that the final decision for the realisation of the projects is subject to the evaluation and approval by the competent Bodies (For ex. Enac, Anas and Commissione di Salvaguardia di Venezia). The selection of the award is nonetheless at the sole discretion of SAVE and it will take place regardless of the actual realisation of the project.
Extra promotion for the authors: we inform you that SAVE will give maximum visibility to the author of the selected projects, by affixing a nameplate on the spot of the roundabout and by publishing official communication on their corporate website.
Deliverables: present your projects uploading the most suitable images and materials (rendering, descriptions, CAD files, etc.) while remembering to also include a rough estimate of the costs for their realisation/maintenance. You can attach it inside a .zip archive containing possible extra materials. Don’t forget about the abstract and description to give further info about your projects. You can submit as many entries as you like!
There is no entry fee for this architecture design competition.
Participants can present one or more projects, but only the projects published on the www.desall.com web site, via the upload page related to “Venice to the World ” will be accepted.
Who can participate? ⇣
This industrial design competitions is open to designers and creative talents of any nationality aged 18 years or older.
No Entry Fee!