Warming Huts: An Art + Architecture Competition on Ice, is an art and architecture competition open for entries for 2020 inviting participants from all parts of the world.
Started in 2009, Warming Huts: An Art + Architecture Competition on Ice has been melding world-class design and art with Winnipeg’s famous winters. The competition has seen entries from across the globe and caught the attention of international architecture publications and awards, as well as admiration from newspapers such as the New York Times. Site:
The huts or installations are placed along the River Trail at The Forks in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The Forks is located in downtown Winnipeg, at the junction of the Red River and the Assiniboine River. The intersection of the two rivers historically has made the area a popular meeting place for over 6,000 years. In recent times, the site has developed into a popular destination for tourists and locals alike, with over four million visitors annually...
The entries must be sent electronically as PDF files not exceeding 5MB each. Entries must be submitted in English. Entries shall include 2 documents as follows:
• Page One (11” x 17” or A3): Project Summary (include registration number)
- A 150-word text describing the concept and presenting the experience offered to the visitors
- Layout of selected images & drawings describing the project
• Page Two (11” x 17” or A3): Images & drawings (include registration number)
- 4 main views or elevations of the hut indicating size and specific indication of materials (entrant is free to choose the scale)
- A perspective showing the hut in its entirety
Team Information: 4 page maximum, (8.5”x11” or A4)
• Name of the project followed by your unique registration number (this number must also appear on each Design Proposal Sheet)
• Design team member names with brief CV
• Name of contact person, including contact coordinates
• A 100-word description of the team, highlighting the strength of this multidisciplinary association
• Artist Information: Name, location, and date of recent publications, exhibits, or performances
• Architect Information: Name of Professional Association to which the architect or intern member is registered
• 4 images of selected projects for which team members have been responsible, followed with a brief description of each project
The 3 teams will be selected as winners of the WARMING HUTS: And Arts + Architecture Competiton on Ice from submissions of designs for a warming hut or art installation. Winning entries will be placed along the River Trail located on the Assiniboine and Red rivers in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
• Creativity of response to creating the shelter or installation on the prefabricated skids,
• The originality, coherence and clarity of the design,
• Durability of the project,
• Cost and ease of fabrication.
The selected warming huts or installations will be announced to the public in November, 2019. Winning entrants will be notified and requested to develop construction drawings for submission to a technical committee. Winning teams will be invited to Winnipeg help complete their projects and install their project on the River Trail.
There is no entry fee to partecipate!
It's free to enter!
This call for entries is open to all architects, students of architecture, landscape architects, interior designers, artists and industrial designers who have a proven portfolio of design work. It is the intention of this competition to foster and encourage the formation of multi-disciplinary teams.
Nearing the end of January, competition winners travel to Winnipeg to begin construction on their warming hut. The weeklong building blitz gives designers a chance to watch their vision come to life while allowing the public to watch them at work.
Honoraria and Budget:
The budget for the creation and construction of each project is $16,500 (CAN). This budget is divided in the following fashion:
• up to $3,500 for the designers’ honorarium
• up to $7,500 (including taxes) for the purchase of materials and/or the employment of consultants necessary for the realization of the project. This budget is managed jointly by The Forks and the designer
• up to $4,000 for labour costs for the construction of the project
• up to $1,500 for Construction Management conducted by The Forks
Up to $1,000 is available for accommodation expenses and up to $2,500 is available for airfare. All travel expenses are only applicable to foreign teams.