Ala - Assoarchitetti and Regione del Veneto recently has launched the 11th edition of Dedalo Minosse International Prize for Commissioning a Building 2018/2019 aimed of promoting better architectural and territorial transformations while sharing quality contents on architecture. This Prize is unique among international awards programs for honoring the Client's role in the design process along with the architects.
The Dedalo Minosse International Prize for commissioning a building has been taking place in Vicenza (Italy), the city of Andrea Palladio, since 1997. The Prize comes from the idea that the framework for creating good architectural works is determined not only by the quality of the Architect’s project (architects, building engineers, freelance professionals, referred to as “Architect” herein), but also by the positive and stimulating role played by the Client.
The Prize would boost the quality of architecture looking at final result, analyzing and focusing on project and constructive plan process and giving a special attention to people who determine the success of the work: the architect and the client, supported by the project executors (the building firms) and the public administrations. Submited works must have been completed between the 1st of January 2018 and the 31st of December 2018.
By the May 25th, 2019 at 6 pm you need to complete the online form on www.dedalominosse.org.
Submission requirements (by May 31th, 2019 at 6 pm):
• .pdf file of the confirmation letter
• 3 x typewritten .doc files, each of them describing:
- the Client’s profile: history, other prizes received, type of approach to architecture (1000 characters including spaces);
- the Architect’s curriculum vitae and/or the profile of his/her Studio (1000 characters including spaces);
- qualitative nature of the professional and human relationship between the Client and the Architect qualifying the Client as deserving the Prize. The description of the completed project must also contain evidence regarding the repercussion that this relationship has had on the planning and architectural process and on the quality of the work (2000 characters including spaces);
• a picture of the Client and one of the Architect.
• Book - horizontal A3 format (297x420 mm): - 6 x drawings of the work (e.g.: plans, sections) in .PDF or .JPG files;
- 10 x photographs in TIFF or JPEG format, in two versions: high resolution: 300 dpi (side measure 24 cm) and low resolution: 100 dpi, followed by captions in .doc format;
Every text, writing and caption must be in English.
The Clients selected by the Organizing Office must send requested materials by September 6th, 2019. For all details visit the official website.
Instead of printing and shipping the book, the Representative can choose to use the printing service offered by the Organizing Office by paying 20 € through PayPal.
The Jury will award the prizes to Clients from every country of the world who have harmoniously collaborated with their Architects and created successful and worthy architectural works. Special attention is dedicated to young Architects under 40, to whom the prize offers a chance of international exposure.
The Jury will focus on the following topics:
• social sustainability;
• economic sustainability;
• environmental sustainability and use of renewable resources;
• works inspired by Design for All;
• enhancement and conservation of the landscape and the architectural heritage;
• use of innovative technologies and materials;
• promotion of traditions and local languages;
• multidisciplinary approach;
• integration between art and architecture
The Jury will also take into consideration all the different features of the proposed works, such as typology, size and main function (living places, places for culture and leisure, urban spaces and infrastructures, working places, redeveloping of pre-existing areas).
The final results will be communicated only to the selected candidates by Friday, June 28th, 2019. An exhibition of the selected works will be held at the Basilica Palladiana in Vicenza between September and October 2019. The prizes will be awarded only to those clients who take part in the award ceremony, directly or through their representatives.
There is no entry fee to participate!
It's free to enter!
Any private or public client, its architects, building firms, the companies supplying the works and materials, or anyone else involved in the building process is entitled to enter the competition.
The Jury assigns the following awards:
• the Dedalo Minosse International Prize, to a Client who commissioned a professional Architect from any country in the world;
• the Dedalo Minosse International Prize OCCAM - Under 40, to a Client who commissioned a young professional Architect from any country in the world;
• the ALA - Assoarchitetti Fondazione Inarcassa Prize, to a Client who commissioned an Italian professional Architect;
• the ALA - Assoarchitetti Prize - Under 40, to a Client who commissioned a young Italian professional Architect;
• the “Andrea Palladio International Prize”, which is assigned, on the recommendation of the Organizing Committee, to a Client who stands out for the work done in the last 20 years.
The Jury will also assign other awards, offered by Patron bodies and Sponsors.
The Prizes consist of silver plaques, designed by Bob Noorda, which will be awarded to one Client and one Architect, respectively. The Andrea Palladio International Prize consists of a methacrylate plaque. Other awards such as plaques and certificates will be offered by Sponsors and Patron bodies.
Call for Applications Info
For all further informations about the Dedalo Minosse International Prize for Commissioning a Building 2018/2019 visit the following official website here.