Iceland Volcano Museum Competition - International Architecture competition
| by InfoDesigners | submitted by Irena Sibila
The call for applications is now open!
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: The Iceland Volcano Museum, international Architecture Competition organized by Bee Breeders, has been recently opened for entries tasking participants to design a multipurpose structure near the Hverfjall Volcano.
The Iceland Volcano Museum, competition is the 3rd in Bee Breeders' Iceland Architecture Competition series and tasks participants with designing a multipurpose structure to feature local tourism attractions.
For the Iceland Volcano Museum Competition, participants are tasked with designing a multi-purpose space, the main function of which will be as an exhibition hall.
Iceland is known for its stunning scenery, and while the country is relatively small, the landscape and stunning natural elements are larger than life. Each scene in Iceland is different, offering views of crystal blue glacier lagoons, red sand beaches, black desert landscapes and volcanoes. Guidelines:
• The key space of the submitted designs must be the multipurpose exhibition hall.
• This exhibition hall should be able to host several (3-4) different installations at the same time. Each installation will be temporary and therefore the hall needs to provide a certain amount of flexibility in terms of arrangement.
• In addition to the multipurpose exhibition hall, submitted designs will need to include an office complex that would provide 15-20 workspaces for the client to use. The office zone would need to have 2 entrances - one for the public (with reception area) and one private entrance for office employees. The office layout would need to provide 10 closed private rooms that could accommodate 10 occupants. Additionally, designs would need to include 2 larger open plan office spaces for the remaining full-time and short-term employees, as well as 2 meeting rooms.
• The space would also need to include a café that could cater for 30-40 people, as well as a small information centre. The complex is expecting to receive up to 500,000 visitors annually.
• The competition site is located in northern Iceland, just east of Lake Myvatn. The area is entirely clear flatland, with no trees or other obstructions impacting construction. The entire complex should not exceed 3 storeys in height. Underground construction is allowed and there is no maximum building footprint defined.
As winning proposals will be considered for construction, the jury will be looking for designs that meet these practical needs and respect the unique and sensitive context while at the same time have the potential to become an iconic tourist attraction in their own right.
• Participants are required to upload 4 x A2 landscape-orientated presentation boards (must not exceed 5mb per jpg) with sketches, renderings, plans, sections, elevations, diagrams, and/or other presentation tools to explain their proposal.
• No video files are accepted.
• All information provided in writing must be in English.
• All submissions must be uploaded via the beebreeders.com upload panel.
Registration period close on 01 November, 2019, but you can submit your project until 29 November, 2019, (11:59pm GMT+0).
Design proposals can be developed individually or by teams (4 team members maximum).
Consultative jury will select 40 shortlisted from all submitted entries, after that core jury panel will evaluate the 9 finalists and select the top 3 winning projects and 6 honorable mentions.
The winners will be announced on 18 December, 2019.
• Early Bird Registration (May 29 - June 28) is US $90, instead for a students is US $70.
• Advance Registration (June 29 - August 02) is US $120, instead for a students is US $100.
• Last Minute Registration (August 03 - November 01) is US $140, instead for a students is US $120.
Who can enter?
The Iceland Volcano Museum Competition is open to all. No professional qualification is required.
Bee Breeders will award a total of US $6,000 in prize money to competition winners as follows:
• 2nd Prize US $1,500
• 3rd Prize US $500
• BB Student Award US $500
• BB Green Award US $500
+ 6 HONOURABLE MENTIONS
The winners will get international art and design media coverage and will be featured on the Bee Breeders website.
Bee Breeders will acknowledge the outstanding performance of all winners and honorable mentions with Certificates of Achievement.
For all further informations about the Iceland Volcano Museum Competition visit the following official website: