Karin Dom - New Building International Architecture Competition now is over!
Karin Dom Foundation, with the support of VELUX Foundations, Varna Municipality, the Chamber of Architects and the Union of Architects in Bulgaria, is pleased to announce architecture competition for a new Karin Dom building.
Karin Dom Foundation, with the support of VELUX Foundations, Varna Municipality, the Chamber of Architects and the Union of Architects in Bulgaria, is pleased to invite all architects from all over the world who are willing to work on, and are interested in social projects, to participate in an international architecture competition for a new Karin Dom building.
The competition aims to find the most inspired, innovative and at the same time functional and appropriate project for a new building for Karin Dom, that will serve as a model for services for children with special needs and their families and will include a training center through which this model could be disseminated.
Bulgaria is a country in Southeastern Europe that is in process of development of inclusive education and early intervention services for children with special needs and their families. One of the leading NGOs, actively involved in this process is Karin Dom Foundation. Karin Dom is among the first organizations in Bulgaria to create alternative to the institutions model for services and care for children with special needs and their families. It was established in 1994 by the diplomat Ivan Stancioff, who attracted and inspired donors and specialists in order to prove that there are not “uneducable” children. Currently, Karin Dom supports over 300 children and families and trains over 1200 specialists and parents per year. All these activities are carried out in an old building that doesn’t meet the needs of the organization for development. With the new building and the adjacent yard Karin Dom aims to:
• create an environment for early childhood development that supports children and families
• provide comprehensive services for children with special needs and their families that develop the children’s potential and support their successful integration in kindergartens, schools and society as a whole
• create a learning space for children, parents, students and professionals by sharing its best practices
• be a center for exchange of knowledge and research with universities and service providers in the country and abroad
• be a place for events and campaigns that bring a spirit of benevolence and tolerance
The competition property has an area of 2450m2. The permissible planned development can be located freely within the property. According to budgetary requirements, the total above-ground development should be designed to about 1800m2. The maximum height of the building is up to 15 meters cornice and up to 5 floors. Recommended design of maximum development density of the underground floor - 600m2.
The project should ensure that the optimal number of existing tree species is preserved. It provides free yard space for the needs of Karin Dom of park and children’s playground.
• ACCESSIBILITY - simple, clear layout, easily understood by all users; ergonomic and accessable by wheel chairs
• SAFETY AND SECURITY - good sight lines and protection from accidents in the areas, designated for the children
• SUSTAINABILITY - high quality of the design in the social, economic and ecological areas
• FLEXIBILITY AND ADAPTABILITY - spaces should meet the current and future needs of children
• HEALTH AND COMFORT - pleasant spaces with respect to all needs for thermal comfort; ventilation and hygiene
• SENSORY AWARENESS - positive impact of the environment on children’s sensory experience
Announcement of competition results is scheduled from 29 February 2020 - 4 March 2020.
There is no entry fee to participate!
Who can participate? ⇣
This architecture competition is open to all architects from all over the world.
No Entry Fee!There is no entry fee to participate!