Re-Draw: Casa da Música – 10th Non Architecture Competition - International Architecture competition
| by InfoDesigners | submitted by Irena Sibila
This competition has expired on
The call for applications is now open!
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: The Non Architecture Competition has been recently opened for entries in its 10th edition, this time themed "Re-Draw" aimed to develop one drawing to ‘represent’ an iconic architecture.
The Non Architecture Competitions, a non-profit organisation with only purpose to encourage and support the creation of brave innovative ideas, is accepting entries for its 10th edition, this time themed "Re-Draw: Casa da Música" dedicated to develop one drawing to ‘represent’ an iconic architecture.
Throughout history designers have employed drawings as fundamental tool for the communication of ideas and visions... Within the context of the digital age we find ourselves overwhelmed by the sheer amount of visual data,... Today architects are being asked to create instagrammable moments, eye-catching details used by the client as free advertising. The result is a media oriented image of architecture, often portrayed online by various users from the same perspective, following trending aesthetics and styles. Within representation, what once used to be a moment of creation, tends to become today a passive exercise of pure repetition. Reflecting upon this paradigm, we encourage representation as a proactive exercise. We aim to engage a community in rediscovering a given building, an architectural icon, proactively researching a new image, a new way to portray it. To reach this purpose, Non Architecture, in co-curation with KooZA/rch, in partnership with Casa da Música and with the support of prominent architecture platforms, organizes Re-Draw.
Casa da Música is the first building selected for the Re-Draw competition. Guidelines:
The aim of the “Re-Draw” competition is to develop one drawing to ‘represent’ an iconic architecture. The participants are asked to draft one image, with absolute freedom of scale, technique and level of abstraction. Organizer encourage creativeness, criticality and innovation. The drawing can highlight functional aspects of the building, showing a deep understanding of one or more design aspects. It can focus on the aesthetic qualities, experimenting and mastering a drawing technique with hyper-realistic outcomes, or it can be an optical deformation, a caricatural interpretation, a distant abstraction of the built architecture. The drawing can strengthen a conventional interpretation of architecture, or explore a new angle, a new point of view, intellectual and/or physical. The building can be portrayed as a whole, a part, or a collage of disconnected moments. The entry is completely flexible and adaptable to the participant’s interpretation.
You can use all the online open source material about the selected building to base your research.
The participants are asked to submit only one .ZIP folder, named with the code and the title of the project (CODE_Title), containing:
- The drawing (JPEG) in format A3 landscape (horizontal), 300 dpi. Name the file as follows: “CODE_Title of the image_Drawing”.
- A word document with 5 keys words to explain your project (#KeyWord). Add in the same file also the team’s info in the following format: Name + Surname of each team member (seperated clearly), nationality (multiple options can be added), institution (company or university attended, to be included just in case you want it to be visible once your project is published). This file must be named: “CODE_Title of the project_Team”.
Non Architecture Competitions will award only one winner, selected by the jury collectively, and 6 honourable mentions, selected by each juror individually.
• Innovation in the approach to representation.
• Critical interpretation of the building.
• Technical quality of the image produce.
• Special Registration (1–14 April, 2019) - 25 Euro
• Early Registration (15 April–30 April 2019) - 40 Euro
• Regular Registration (1–15 May 2019) - 55 Euro
• Late Registration (15–31 May, 2019) - 75 Euro
Who can enter?
Non Architecture Competitions are open to all human beings, from every age and cultural background, working in groups or individually. Teams can be formed by a maximum number of 2 people.
The following prizes will be awarded:
• Winner: will recive 1.500 euros, publication in the Non Architecture Competitions books and website, reviews in digital magazines and several architecture blogs, and 1 Year subscription to Trace Pro App provided by Morpholio. Selected for the cover of the book.
• Honourable Mentions (6 prizes): Publication in the Non Architecture Competitions books and website, reviews in digital magazines and several architecture blogs, and 6 months subscription to Trace Pro App provided by Morpholio.
• Finalists: Publication in the Non Architecture Competitions books.
• Special Prize: The organization might establish additional special prizes and awards during the competition development and in the evaluation phase.
For all further informations about the Re-Draw: Casa da Música – 10th Non Architecture Competition visit the following official website: