Site Monastery - International Architecture Ideas Competition now is over!
ARKxSITE is pleased to announce the ‘SITE MONASTERY’ international architecture ideas competition dedicate to architecture students and young professionals.
The SITE MONASTERY is an international one-stage ideas architecture competition organised by ARKxSITE, that invites all architecture students, young architects and young professionals with a degree in architecture studies to develop and submit compelling ideas for the design of a Site Monastery located at the São Domingos da Baralha Fortress, in Cape Espichel, Portugal.
The São Domingos da Baralha Fortress is a historical landmark located within a remarkable place, a powerful natural scenery where the remains of the Fortress and the steep cliffs are prominent features within this setting.
The Site Monastery is a place of solitude and contemplation, a secluded space for inner reflection and a platform for meditation. The quietness and stillness within monastic walls and the powerful natural scenery provide a profound and immersive experience within a serene atmosphere. A sequence of spaces stimulate movement between open and / or enclosed spaces and outdoor environments.
Total area of the Site Monastery to be determined by each participant’s proposal is (suggestion: 200 - 250m2)
• Entrance - provide a space of transition between the natural landscape and the ‘Site Monastery’.
• ‘Inner Space’ - provide a place of reflection and meditation, an intimate space for introspection and a moment of silence and solitude to enhance the contemplative nature of the Monastery and the experience of the place. This is the main space of the Site Monastery and it can be a singular space or a sequence of spaces, open and / or enclosed to the natural elements.
• Look-out point - provide a look-out point, an outdoor area to rest and engage with the landscape, cliffs and the ocean while enhancing the sensitive experience of place; a water feature may be introduced into the design of the ‘Site Monastery’.
• Dormitory (4-8 cells) - provide a place of stillness and profound tranquility, a secluded space to rest and sleep.
• Rest rooms - 30m2 - provide restrooms next to the dormitory cells.
• Dining room - 40m2 - provide a gathering place for the daily communal meals. An area with a basin for hand-washing should be provided before entering the dining room.
• Kitchen - 20m2 - provide a space next to the dining room for cooking and food preparation.
• Meeting room - provide an intimate gathering space for meetings and reading; spaces can be combined and / or separated.
• Storage room - 15m2 - provide an area for storing maintenance equipment.
When generating a vision for an intervention located within such a spectacular place, it is essential that each design proposal emphasises, respects and celebrates the site and existing ruins, while providing a unique and memorable experience.
The overall design of the Site Monastery must be sensitive to the surrounding context. The existing ruins may or may not be included within the Site Monastery design proposal. There are no limitations in height, excavation or extension beyond the cliff edges. Areas may be increased / altered according to the design proposal.
Because this is an ideas competition, urban planning and building regulations will not be applied to the design proposal.
• Originality and quality of the proposals design vision
• Responsiveness of the proposal to the competition’s objectives
• Appropriateness to the site and it’s context
• Quality and clarity of the presentation
• Early registration period ( November 01 - December 20, 2019) - 60 Euros + VAT
• Regular registration period (December 21 - January 31, 2020) - 75 Euros + VAT
• Late registration period ( February 01 - February 10, 2020) - 90 Euros + VAT
For further information about this competition please visit the official website.
This ideas architecture competition invites all architecture students, young architects and young professionals with a degree in architecture studies (≤ 40 years old) to participate.