The SKYHIVE Skyscraper Challenge 2020 is the 3nd annual ideas architecture competition organised by Bee Breeders, which encourages participants to experiment with the limits of architecture seraching out the latest and greatest designs for an iconic high rise structure. Participants of the SKYHIVE Challenge are tasked with creating a concept for a state-of-the-art tower that breaks the norm.
The annual SKYHIVE Challenge is a platform to examine the relationship between skyscrapers and the natural world, the community, and the city as a whole. It is important that designs show consideration for the impact on the surrounding environment, as well as how the increase in inhabitants will affect the current infrastructure, pollution levels, economic division, and urban sprawl.
Participants are encouraged to incorporate new technologies and materials in their designs, as well as unique aesthetics and spatial organisations. Special consideration is also given to designs that implement innovations in sustainable systems, as well as those that look to solve economic, social, and cultural problems through the establishment of new architectural methods.
Participants may select any location in any city around the world. They are then tasked with creating designs for an iconic new high rise structure, one that not only pushes the boundaries of technology and design, but one that works to improve the city it will call home.
Competition participants are allowed to interpret the competition brief however they choose, in the most creative way possible. The SKYHIVE Challenge is a chance for architecture enthusiasts to potentially rewrite the definition of the modern-day skyscraper.
THE COMPETITION SITE
The participants are permitted to choose a hypothetical site ( 130m x 80m ) accessed by two roads on both the longer and shorter side of the site. It can be located in a city of their choice. The site context and surroundings are to be assumed.
• Maximum allowed site density 100%.
• There is no maximum building height defined.
• There is no minimum distance requirement from the road or neighbouring buildings. Participants may place their building/s at the edge of the site boundary if they find it beneficial to their design proposal.
• There are no restrictions for underground construction.
• Participants are required to upload 4 x A2 landscape-orientated presentation boards (must not exceed 5MB per jpg) with sketches, renderings, plans, sections, elevations, diagrams, and/or other presentation tools to explain their proposal.
• No video files are accepted.
• All information provided in writing must be in English.
• All submissions must be uploaded via the beebreeders.com upload panel.
RECOMMENDED SUBMISSION CONTENT
Concept designs which highlight that all aspects of the design are of the highest quality and in keeping with the design brief and the proposed site.
• The main points of proposed plans and sections, multiple internal and external perspectives demonstrating the spatial quality of the building, as well as operational needs and accessibility requirements.
• Demonstration of project feasibility in regards to environment, climate conditions, lifecycle and responsible use of materials.
• Visualizations; artist impressions to illustrate how the proposal fits in with the quality, value, and significance of the proposed context.
Design proposals can be developed individually or by teams (4 team members maximum).
The jury will be looking for innovations in design, aesthetics, sustainability, and technology in order to create a structure that stands out amidst the world’s gleaming skylines. The jury may choose to reward projects that show a high degree of creativity, even if they breach any of the rules, as long as it’s justified.
The 3 winning proposals and 6 honourable mentions will be selected.
• Early Bird Registration (1 November - 17 December) - US $90 for Architects / Enthusiasts / Companies, instead for Students - US $70
• Advance Registration (18 December - 14 February) - US $120 for Architects / Enthusiasts / Companies, instead for Students - US $100
• Last Minute Registration (15 February - 17 Aprile) - US $140 for Architects / Enthusiasts / Companies, instead for Students - US $120
There is a special student rates for group registration (discount applies for 3+ registrations from one university/school).
Who can participate? ⇣
The SKYHIVE Skyscraper Challenge 2019 is open to all. No professional qualification is required.
Organisers would like to hear also from representatives of universities, schools, and colleges offering architecture/design studies.