The Rifat Chadirji Prize for Architecture 2018 ia an annual open-ideas architectural competition recently opened for enties, the newest prize to be established as part of the Tamayouz Excellence Award program of championing and celebrating the best of Iraqi architecture.
This is a single stage competition with the aim of identifying the most appropriate proposal, which best satisfies the general and specific objectives of the contest. The Rifat Chaderji Prize aims to promote the advancement of architecture in Iraq through an open source of design ideas responding to Iraq's most urgent social challenges.
Participants are asked to transform the current unused site of the Old Governorate Building into the Baghdad Design Centre in the city’s Cultural District, Al-Rusafa, while integrating the damaged facades in their ideas for the new building. The facades will be a memorial for an era in Baghdad’s history.
The Old Baghdad Governorate building was heavily damaged (only the skin of the building remains) due to the looting and the vandalism in the week that followed the 2003 US invasion of Iraq. The site is currently underused, and have not been properly maintained.
The competition site and the skin of the old building are now called Al-Multaqa (the meeting point), where people usually meet before heading to the crowded surrounding areas.
The 8m high damaged facade is to be incorporated into the design of the Baghdad Design Centre.
• A Flexible Space for Exhibitions, meetings and Lectures (Up to 200 people)
• Shared workshop space for artists architects and designers
• Reception with 2 administrative offices
• Co-working and shared office space for startups
• A Cafe / with a seating area and restrooms
• Parking is not required
• A public space: The site, currently free of programme, provides spatial relief within a very dense urban fabric and has become a meeting place. It is suggested that a significant part of the proposed use could be maintained as a public space.
• 1 x A0 board in PDF format, Every team is encouraged to submit all the information they consider necessary to explain their proposal. Content may include but not limited to plans, sections, elevations, visualisations, diagrams, etc. The resolution of the boards must be 150dpi with the unique registration number placed in the upper left corner of the board in 18 pt font.
• A word Document file containing the project statement (250 Words Max) explaining the design proposal.
• Submit your entry by using the upload link in your registration confirmation email.
Architects, students, engineers and designers are invited to participate in this prize individualy or in team basis (maximum of 4 team members). The participation of multidisciplinary teams is encouraged.
The competition hopes to see a new architectural approach that helps Baghdad celebrate its architecture and heritage. The transformation of the site into a Design Centre that showcases the best of contemporary design and is also a space of creative collaboration forms the basis of the brief. Whilst creating a new and optimistic vision for the future of design within Iraq the proposals should also set a benchmark for the respectful treatment of cultural heritage in a true fusion of the old and the new.
Entry fees to partecipate in this competition are:
• $50 – Early Bird Registration
• $75 – Standard Registration
• $100 – Last Chance Registration
Architects, students, engineers and designers are invited to participate in this architecture competition.
The 1st Prize winner will be awarded $5,000, the Rifat Chadirji Statuette and will be invited to the 2018 Award Ceremony — with flights & hotel covered by the organizers. The 2nd and 3rd Prize winners will each receive $1,000, certificate and will also be invited to the 2018 Award Ceremony.
In addition to the Main Prizes, one People’s Choice Award of $500 + certificate will also be awarded. There will be 7 Honourable Mentions certificate prizes and online promotion for the best 50 entries.
Call for Applications Info
For all further informations about the The Rifat Chadirji Prize for Architecture 2018 visit the following official website here.