| by InfoDesigners
Applications are now being accepted for Architecture Competition World Habitat Awards 2017-2018, for practical, innovative and sustainable solutions to current housing issues worldwide.
The awards are presented each year at a major UN-Habitat event, providing opportunities for international exposure, networking and dissemination of the award winning approaches.
Presented by the Building and Social Housing Foundation (BSHF), over the years, the competition has presented a large range of excellent habitat projects in different countries around the world.
They want to hear about projects from around the world that:
• Focus on affordable and adequate housing
• Are in progress or have been completed in the last ten years
• Have been designed and/or delivered in close collaboration with the residents/local community
Projects at design/prototype/planning stage or completed over ten years ago will not be considered.
Housing projects and approaches are sought that:
• demonstrate practical, innovative and sustainable solutions to current housing issues faced by countries all around the world
• can be transferred or adapted for use as appropriate
• are already being implemented or are completed ie not at design stage or very early stages of development
• view the term habitat from a broad perspective and bring other benefits as well, such as energy or water saving, income generation, social inclusion, community and individual empowerment, health benefits, capacity building or education.
Provision of low-cost, affordable housing for low-income households:
1)Environmentally sustainable housing
• Development/use of sustainable building materials and technologies
• Provision of resource- and energy-efficient housing
• Promotion of sustainable lifestyles in urban and/or rural areas
2)Restoration of existing housing
• Restoration of areas of decayed housing and/or adaptive reuse of buildings
• Urban/slum upgrading
3)Provision of housing designed to withstand natural disasters
4)Housing provision for those with special needs
• Provision of housing for homeless people
• Housing specifically designed to meet the needs of older persons and those with other special needs
• Innovative design and/or construction materials
• The use of information and communication technologies in housing
6)Housing developed and managed on a cooperative or other socially sustainable basis
7)Projects and processes that ensure the right to land and housing
Please note that the project subjects listed above are suggestions only. Projects relating to other housing issues may be submitted if desired.
All entries are assessed and up to 12 projects are shortlisted by an assessment committee. These shortlisted projects are then evaluated by an independent advisory group.
There is no entry fee for this competition!
It's free to enter!
Who can enter?
The competition is open to any individual, organization or government who has an innovative and practical solution to housing needs and problems from any country of the world. More than one entry per participant is allowed.
Every year a prize of £10,000 and an award are given to two winners – projects that provide practical and innovative solutions to housing needs and problems. The awards are presented at a UN-Habitat global event.
For all further informations about the World Habitat Awards BSHF 2017-2018 visit the following official website here.