7th Advanced Architecture Contest: Responsive City - International Architecture contest
| by InfoDesigners | submitted by Irena Sibila
This competition has expired on
The call for applications is now open!
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: The Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia (IAAC) is pleased to announce the 7th Advanced Architecture Contest, on the theme of RESPONSIVE CITY.
This Architecture Contest aims to promote discussion and research through which to generate insights and visions, ideas and proposals that help us envisage what the city and the habitat of the 21st century will be like. The challenge is to design any project directly related to responsive cities — buildings, sensors, devices, urban planning, means of transportation, fab cities, energy systems etc.
The programme challenges the participants to design any project directly related to responsive cities: buildings, sensors, devices, urban planning, means of transportation, urban farming, energy systems, etc.
The participants will be free to decide on the size and location of the Project, which must be clearly detailed and justified.
Any time projection short (10 years), medium (50 years) or long-term within the duration of the 21st century is allowed.
Documents and Graphic Materials Required:
• Write a brief description (max 200 words) that outlines key concepts around proposals or changes for existing buildings and/or cities.
• Graphic description: Site plans, floor plans, elevations, sections, perspective drawings, photographs of physical or digital models and axonometric drawings at any scale and descriptive texts explaining the project are allowed. The descriptive texts must be in English.
• The proposals should be presented on 3 DIN A-3 panels and comply with the following format: Each panel will be presented in PDF format. The size of each file must not exceed 1MB. The same panels will also be presented in a JPG 1280px by 960px format. The size of each file will not have to exceed 500 KB.
Video (optionary): You have the option to submit a 1 minute (maximum)<7strong> video to explain in, a few words, the key concepts of your proposal. Please use English subtitles even if you are speaking English. (It is not mandatory to speak in the video, you may also use text, images, animation etc). To submit the video: First upload the video to YouTube, then login in to your competition profile page and paste the YouTube link to the video section of the submission.
The competition is open to architects, engineers, planners and designers who want to contribute to progress in making the world more habitable by developing a proposal capable of responding to emerging challenges in areas such as ecology, information technology, architecture, and productive cities.
The jury is composed of architects, professionals in a wide range of fields and directors of some of the world’s foremost architecture schools. It is looking for outstanding proposals at any scale, for any city in the world on Smart Cities, Eco neighborhoods, Self-sufficient buildings, Intelligent homes, FabLabs, Urban farming or any other proposal that analyzes the phenomena of Responsive City.
The selected projects will go on show in a major exhibition, due to open in Barcelona in June/July 2018.
There is no entry fee for this contest!
It's free to enter!
Who can enter?
This contest is open to architects, engineers, planners and designers. The competition is opened to students and professionals. There is no age limit.
The 3 teams leaders will receive cash prizes, and a one-year grant to take the Master in Advanced Architecture at IAAC and research in greater depth the manufacture of self-sufficient architecture.
All of the projects selected will be featured in a special book produced in conjunction with the Actar-Birkhauser publishing house like in the four previous editions.
• 1st Prize: 3,000 € + Master in Advanced Architecture (value 18.750,00 €) + 2 days trip for 1 person (team leader) to the Lively Architecture Festival in Montpellier (600,00€ grant)
• 2nd Prize: 2,000 € + Master in Advanced Architecture (value 18.750,00 €) + 2 days trip for 1 person (team leader) to the Lively Architecture Festival in Montpellier (600,00€ grant)
• 3rd Prize: 1,000 € + Master in Advanced Architecture (value 18.750,00 €) + 2 days trip for 1 person (team leader) to the Lively Architecture Festival in Montpellier (600,00€ grant)
For all further informations about the 7th Advanced Architecture Contest: Responsive City visit the following official website: