Jointly organized by the Building and Construction Authority (BCA), Singapore Institute of Architects (SIA) and Singapore Green Building Council (SGBC), the ITAD Competition is part of the annual Singapore Green Building Week and co-located with the International Green Building Conference (IGBC).
This architecture design competition is focused on tropical green architecture and sustainable building design solutions, encouraging students to explore vast realms of knowledge revolving around sustainability. This year the competition theme is "The Future of Green Tropical Living".
The ITAD Competition was launched the first time in 2011 with the aim to reach out the leaders of tomorrow, in sustainable developments and raise awareness in the areas of sustainability and mitigating climate change. It encourages students to explore vast realms of knowledge revolving around sustainability, and provides a platform for them to showcase their innovative sustainable design ideas.
Entries should be:
- applicable for the tropical climate.
- identify a city for the design of the building to be based on incorporate both active and passive design strategies, energy efficient features and other green building features.
- be based on BCA Green Mark assessment tool to validate their sustainable design concepts. Please refer to the assessment checklist here.
- justify how the features and strategies contribute to the sustainability of the building.
- include the engineering feasibility of the design solutions proposed, where possible.
- other than the exterior design, considerations should also be given to the building interior on how user-centric sustainable features and practices can be incorporated, including an evaluation of the effect on the overall well-being of building residents and users.
- design should also show how the proposed building can integrate with the surrounding environment and landscape.
- incorporate design concepts/elements that will encourage/guide residents/ end-users to cultivate green behaviours or practices in the tropical climate.
- present a practical, feasible direction for future residential buildings, based on resources available in present day.
- design board should include site plans and cross-sections perspectives.
The entries will be judged based on the below criteria:
1. Design Concept & Creativity
2. Relevance to tropical context
3. Relevance to theme
4. Feasibility in current context
5. Design for behavioural change and social capital
7. Reference to green rating
Multidisciplinary teams are strongly encouraged.
There is no entry fee for this architecture design competition!
Eligible to enter are all students matriculated into university, polytechnic and institutes of higher learning students in the architectural, building design, engineering fields.
Five finalist entries will be selected and awarded cash prizes of a total of $10.800 (SGD). The creators will be invited to Singapore to present their works at the Final Judging and attend the 2016 International Green Building Conference (IGBC), scheduled for 7–9 September.
For all further informations about the competition ITAD International Tropical Architecture Design Competition 2016 or to submit your works visit the following official website: