| by InfoDesigners | submitted by Irena Sibila
Call for ideas: Shaping London's Global Square - International Architecture ideas competition
This competition has expired on
The call for ideas is now open!
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: Grosvenor Britain & Ireland has launched an international call for ideas to re-imagine Grosvenor Square in London, seeking ideas from all the creative industries, particularly from the fields of architecture and design.
Grosvenor Britain & Ireland has launched an international call for ideas to re-imagine Grosvenor Square in London, on how to rejuvenate the square particularly making it appeal to a broader range of people, seeking ideas from all the creative industries, particularly from the fields of architecture and design.
As Grosvenor took back management of London's second largest garden square, it launched in 2017 a public call for ideas in a campaign it called "Shaping the Square", seeking ideas to help create London's leading public space. It also polled 1,000 Londoners, interviewed locals and talked to visitors, to gather their ideas on how this public space could be used. Grosvenor did so in the context of a 20 year vision to transform its London estate and tackle the pressures facing the capital. With the London's rapid growth, Grosvenor wants its estate in Mayfair and Belgravia to work harder for its communities and all Londoners by adapting - with better streets, greener spaces and more active and enterprising places that appeal to all.
There is a 25,000 sq m of green space in Mayfair at the heart of London’s West End. If you have an ambitious vision to create a place that works in harmony with people, both now and in the future.
Grosvenor is calling on urban visionaries, whether individuals, groups or companies, to submit ideas strategies, projects, experiments and solutions to reinstate Grosvenor Square as one of London's leading squares. Ideas should consider implementation over the short, medium and long term. Ideas should be informed, but not constrained by, public polling in 2017 which showed:
• Grosvenor Square has a low profile, out of proportion to its size - 25,000 square metres of green space in the heart of the West End and near to Oxford Street. It is perceived by some to be imposing and unwelcoming.
• Those polled want the best green space, more wildlife and a haven from the bustle of London - and they also want flexibility, events, culture and food that reflect London's appeal as a global city.
• Grosvenor Square should be more inclusive and could help change perceptions of Mayfair as excluding - people are attracted to public spaces that attract diversity.
• The most popular public spaces in London are surrounded by the best leisure, food and amenities - what's outside the square is as important as what is inside.
• Escaping, socialising, being free to choose when and how people experience world culture - these are Londoners' calls for action for Grosvenor Square.
Ideas should be informed, but not constrained by, public polling and interviews in 2017 which revealed an appetite for:
• Clarity - a square that makes a great first impression - easy to find, hard to resist.
• Context - a green and pleasant square surrounded by great places.
• Contrast - a square for all seasons with activities to suit every mood.
• Company - a diverse, inclusive and global square.
• Colour - a square that grips people and draws them in.
Ideas should be informed, but not constrained by, the following categories:
• Place culture - the ways in which perceptions of Grosvenor Square - locally, nationally and internationally - could improve.
• Place animation - the strategies that could see better use of an important green space.
• Place space - the ways in which physical design could help Grosvenor Square thrive.
Ideas must be submitted before 23.59 BST Friday 26 October 2018.
Grosvenor will assess the ideas it receives and discuss them in more depth with those submitting. After the close of the professional call for ideas, a selection of entries will be presented to an independent panel convened by Grosvenor. This expert panel will offer challenge and insight to help Grosvenor develop its thinking and select the ideas it may wish to develop further.
There is no entry fees to partcipate in this competition!
Who can enter?
Whether you’re a company or an individual, architect or horticulturist, retailer or gallerist, urbanist or placemaker it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make your mark on the map of London.
Those submitting successful ideas will have the chance to have their expertise, ideas and team publicised by Grosvenor. They will also be offered the chance to work with Grosvenor to refine their submissions, which in turn will inform the detailed brief for any formal design competition Grosvenor wishes to run.
For all further informations about the Call for ideas: Shaping London's Global Square visit the following official website: