2019 Stencil Art Prize - ART COMPETITION
| by InfoDesigners
The Call for Artists is now open!
The Call for Artists titled 2019 Stencil Art Prize is now open!
CALL FOR ENTRIES - The 10th Stencil Art Prize 2019, Art Competition dedicate to stencil art now is opened for entries and is calling for artist, the largest and longest running stencil event on the globe.
The 2019 Stencil Art Prize, biennial exhibiton and the largest and longest running stencil event on the globe, is currently calling for entries and invites all artists to participate.
The objective of the Prize is to recognise and reward stencil artists, provide recognition for stencil art as an artform in its own right, foster creative connections between stencil artists from different countries and cultures, archive stencil art.
The Stencil Art Prize began in 2009 with a start up grant from Marrickville Council and has continued to grow with support from the global stencil community, participating galleries and sponsors. Beginning as an Australian-only exhibition, the Prize moved to accept international artists in response to a strong demand in 2013.
The Stencil Art Prize is a touring exhibition of the world’s biggest, best and most daring artists that use the technique of cutting stencil layers, and painting a design.
This grassroots art form has undergone a resurgence in recent decades and is now thriving on the streets in every country around the globe. Edgy, political, cheeky and pop-culture inspired – the technique lends itself to a sense of wonder and intrigue. How was the stencil made and what does it mean?
Our biennial stencil event is the largest and longest running stencil event on the globe. We exhibit and tour the most innovative, inspiring, challenging and captivating stencil artworks.
Collectively our finalists push the boundaries of the “stencil definition” each year as they develop new stencil techniques, messages, materials and technology. From photo realist stencils involving dozens of layers- to intricate hand cut stencils on delicate paper – the Stencil Art Prize is the authority on all things ‘stencil art’. Submission requirements:
To participate in this competition entrants should attach a digital photo of their completed stencil painting to their entry email. If you are selected as a Finalist you will need to ship your artwork to Australia at your own expense.
The Stencil Art Prize is thrilled to announce the launch of the International Shipping Scholarship for eligible finalists in 2019 to help lower the cost of shipping their artworks to Australia. The scholarship aims to drastically reduce the shipping cost of artworks for international finalists.
International artists wishing to be eligible for the scholarship will be required to submit artworks in one of two size specifications and then ship canvas artworks in a poster tube to Australia, with the Stencil Art Prize stretching the canvases at no cost to the artist onto pre-made stretcher bars.
These Scholarships apply to artworks that are created on good quality pre-stretched primed canvas in specific sizes. Artists wishing to apply for the Scholarships will be required to create their artwork to fit one of the two premade stretcher bar sizes that the Stencil Art Prize will supply.
• 20 inch by 20 inch (50.8cm x 50.8cm)
• 28 inch by 36 inch (71.12cm x 91.44cm)
Factors taken into consideration for the International Shipping Scholarship include the country of origin, expenses in shipping from country of origin to Australia and merits of the artwork itself.
Finalists must leave an additional 2 & ½ inch (6.5cm) blank canvas border on each side of their artwork so allow for wrapping of the canvas onto stretcher bars.
More information about how International Shipping Scholarships work:
• Artworks (Works) must be painted on a stretched canvas, allowed to dry and then unpicked and rolled. Works that are not properly stretched onto primed good quality canvas prior to painting may incur cracking when rolled or during re-stretching. Do a test run on a similar painting to gauge suitability of materials and paint for rolling and re-stretching.
• Works with heavy paint layers or mixed media may not be suitable.
• If selected as a Finalist within the International Shipping Scholarship, the Artist will ship their canvas rolled in a poster tube to Australia.
• The Stencil Art Prize will cover the cost of stretching the canvas onto one of the two premade stretcher bar sizes, and cover the cost of the stretcher bars.
• At the conclusion of the Exhibition Tour, the work will be unpicked from the stretcher bars and rolled back into the poster tube.
• The Finalist will then cover the return cost of shipping the poster tube to their premises.
• Finalists who receive the International Shipping Scholarship may utilize this service for selling purposes of their work through the Stencil Art Prize website whilst the Touring Exhibition is in progress.
• For works sold through the International Shipping Scholarship, there will be an additional fee to cover stretching, stretcher bars and shipping direct to the buyer in Australia. Details will be outlined in the Finalist Exhibition Agreement.
The 10th Stencil Art Prize Exhibition 2019 will be held from the 12 to 23 September 2019 at Gaffa Gallery in Sydney and then the exhibition go will tour to Regional Galleries around Australia for a period of up to two years.
The entry fee is $40 (AUD) per entry.
The winner will receive a $10,000 cash prize (AUD).
For all further informations about the 2019 Stencil Art Prize or to submit your works visit the following official website: