| by InfoDesigners | submitted by Irena Sibila
Akademie Schloss Solitude Artist-in-Residence Program 2020-2021 - International Art competition
This competition has expired on
The Call for artists is now open!
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: Akademie Schloss Solitude is happy to announce its 17th call for applications for its international and interdisciplinary artist-in-program.
The renowned Akademie Schloss Solitude is happy to announce its 17th call for applications for its international and interdisciplinary artist-in-residence-program.
For the first time in its 30-year history, Akademie Schloss Solitude is expanding its profile with the addition of a thematic call. In cooperation with KfW Stiftung, Solitude is launching the new program with the specific content-related focus "Mutations". To foster transdisciplinary and transcultural dialogue between the arts, sciences and society, young professionals from all fields are invited to engage in this topic in a focused group conversation. The 9-month program aims to encourage critical reflection and artistic production as well as encounters across disciplines.
International artists are invited to apply from different spheres of practice as well as for academy’s thematic call "Mutations".
...In the fields of biology and genetics, mutations refer to a change in DNA, the elementary code of life. Mutations occur as variation and alteration, as unforeseen transformation of material or environment. Mutations happen at the intersection of information and manifest in a modification of all aspects of life; in the physicality of living beings. In the environment and its ecological, social, and political conditions they apply to the formation of cultural spaces. Mutations hold an enormous potential for radical thinking and change. They contradict the existing order, challenging hierarchies and perhaps heralding the dawn of a new age... Applications are invited for the following spheres of practice:
• VISUAL - Visual arts and media - Including painting, sculpture, drawing, installation, film, video, printing, ceramics, textiles, performance,
• AURAL & PHYSICAL - Music and performing arts - Including music, music interpretation and composition, sound installation, sound performance, dance, choreography, drama, theater, music theater, dramaturgy, directing,
• DIGITAL - Digital Solitude - Including digital art, gaming, hacking, computing, programming, web-based video production and installation, digital journalism, digital publishing,
• SPATIAL - Architecture and design - Including architecture, urban planning, landscape architecture, applied arts, design, stage design, fashion design, costume design, product design, furniture design,
• TEXTUAL - Literature and language - Including German-language and international literature in all written forms (dramatic texts, lyric poetry, prose, essay, and translation),
• SOCIETAL/COMMUNAL-BASED WORK – Education, mediation, theory - Including art criticism, critical theory, curation, art education, socially engaged art ,
• SCIENTIFIC – art, science & business/Humanities, social, natural and economic sciences - Including philosophy, anthropology, biology, botany, physics, mathematics, computer science, cultural studies, ecology, gender studies, history, law, public policy, medicine, political science and political theory, psychology, sociology, economics, and finance.
Applicants are asked to register on the application website of the Akademie as of March 1, 2019 and to submit an abstract (max. 250 words), a portfolio of their work, and a concept paper/essay sketch related to the topic of "Mutations" (max. 1.000 words).
Applications of artist groups are possible. The main language is English.
The duration of the residency is October 2020 to June 2021. All successful applicants are expected to spend the full nine months in Stuttgart to engage in the program.
The first six months of the residency are dedicated to an intensive dialogue between the fellows, in which they communally develop their practice, creating a platform for knowledge exchange. The collaborative approach to artistic research stands at the forefront of this phase. The following three months are dedicated to a development process in which the fellows expand their practice to engage with the public. The topical residency leads to a closing format (symposium, exhibition or other event, and a publication).
There is no enty fee to participate!
It's free to enter!
Who can enter?
International artists, scientists, and cultural professionals are invited to apply for fellowships in the spheres listed above. The candidates should not be older than 40. Applications from students enrolled in degree programs will not be considered.
The fellowship includes the following benefits:
• A free, furnished living/working studio including electricity, water and heating,
• A monthly fellowship grant of € 1,200,
• Travel expenses for arrival and departure (on a one-time basis).
Fellowships are usually awarded for a period between six, nine or twelve months. The Solitude fellowship is a residential fellowship. Fellows are obliged to spend at least two thirds of their fellowships at the Akademie.
For all further informations about the Akademie Schloss Solitude Artist-in-Residence Program 2020-2021 visit the following official website: