Carmelite Picture Book Prize 2019 - BOOK AWARD
| by InfoDesigners
Book award titled Carmelite Picture Book Prize 2019
is calling for entries. Below you can find all details about this book award:
Now in its 4nd year, The Carmelite Prize, an exciting Book Award created to recognize excellence in children’s book illustration has been recently opened with the aim of encouraging and inspiring the next generation of illustrators for children’s stories.
The Carmelite Picture Book Prize organized by Hodder & Stoughton Limited, is an exciting Book Award created to recognize excellence in children’s book illustration, with the aim of encouraging and inspiring the next generation of illustrators for children’s stories and now it's opened for entries in its 4th edition.
Organizer are excited to announce Kes Gray as this year’s author with his new and original picture book text called ZEBRACADABRA and all students, aged 18 and over, who are studying illustration and design at a further or higher education institution in the UK are invited to submit their illustration ideas for this book. "It can be difficult at Degree level for a student to be able to spend the required amount of time and effort to both write and illustrate a strong picture book. Therefore, having a professionally written text for them to react to is brilliant, and in this way the Carmelite Prize mirrors the professional world where illustrators are selected to illustrate a given text. I love the idea of having a fresh, new creative text to work with this year."
Mark Foreman, Senior Lecturer at Falmouth School of At
• Only 1 entry per person allowed.
• The full text is split over 15 spreads and entrants are required to submit roughs for 11 spreas and final artwork for 4 spreads.
• There is a choice of two formats for the finished book: 245mm x 245mm or 275mm (high) x 250mm (wide). Please choose the format most suited to your style.
• Artwork must be created at 100% size, or up to 30% larger, allowing at least 5mm extra (after reduction) for any images that bleed.
• Any medium may be used, but final artwork must be flat so it can be scanned. Illustrations with novelty elements or 3D structures will not be eligible.
• Artwork can be supplied digitally but should be supplied as one low res pdf, file size to be no larger than 8MB. Please ensure file is labelled with your full name as follows: firstname_lastname.pdf. Note that original files should be created in high res and retained if your entry is selected for print.
• Text should be shown in black, either typed or handwritten, and should be removable (ie, supplied as a transparent or trace overlay). For digital entries, flattened text on PDF is acceptable, but original high res files should place text on a separate layer.
Entries will be judged by a panel of industry professionals, including Kes Gray and the Creative Director of Hachette Children’s Group.
What the judges are looking for?
The judges are looking for a series of original and outstanding illustrations demonstrating competency and creativity in visual storytelling for children. The illustrations should show characterization, continuity and progression, plus a range and pace appropriate to the text. Originality is key as is the consideration for text placement and page design.
The competition will run from 29th October 2018 until 5th April 2019.
Winners will be announced on the 26th April 2019.
There is no entry fees to participate!
It's free to enter!
Who can enter?
The Carmelite Picture Book Prize 2019 is open to all students, aged 18 or over, who are studying illustration and design in the UK in further or higher education during the academic year 2017/2018.
The competition winner will receive £1000 and may be selected to work with Hodder Children’s Books (an imprint of Hodder & Stoughton Ltd and part of Hachette Children’s Group) on the final illustrations for ZEBRACADABRA.
The winner’s Course tutor will receive a £500 donation towards all their students’ final year shows. In addition to this, the first one hundred entrants to send in their work will be invited to an afternoon seminar on Careers in Publishing, on 12th September 2019, at Carmelite House, London.
There are also two runner up prizes of £500 and £250 respectively and, in addition to this, the top 5 entries (including the winner and the two runners up) will be invited to show their illustration portfolios to Art Directors from Hachette Children’s Group for advice and feedback.
Call For Entries Info
For all further informations about the Carmelite Picture Book Prize 2019 or to submit your works visit the following official website: https://carmeliteprize.co.uk/
Category: BOOK AWARD
Published by: InfoDesigners
Organizer: Hodder & Stoughton Limited
Fees: NO ENTRY FEES!
Listed by: InfoDesigners