3M for Design - Industrial Adhesives and Tapes now is over!
New product design competition organized by 3M and Desall.com invite you to design a new furnishing item for indoors or outdoors, that may be assembled exclusively using the 3M adhesive systems.
New contest on Desall.com has been recently released by 3M inviting you to design a new furnishing item for indoors or outdoors, that may be assembled exclusively using the 3M adhesive systems in place of the traditional mechanical fixing methods (screws, rivets, soldering, etc.)
3M relies on the international community of designers to explore new projects based on the exclusive use of the 3M adhesive systems for their assembly, in place of the traditional mechanical fixing methods (screws, rivets, soldering, etc.). They are looking for innovative and creative solutions able to maintain an actual feasibility trait.
1. The project will have to include the product details that you will consider both in descriptive and visual (technical drawings) terms, highlighting the innovation brought about by the assembly made through 3M adhesive systems compared to the traditional methods. The correct sizing and use of the adhesive in your design will be fundamental for the selection of the winner.
2. You can choose among various product typologies, inside the following markets:
• Lighting (lamps, for indoors, for outdoors, etc.)
• Furnishing (chairs, tables, wardrobes, etc.)
• Homeware & Interiors (objects for indoor decoration, furnishing accessories, etc.)
3M has a very wide and complete range of adhesives. For a better focus organizer has decided to select these 3 macro sets to employ for your projects realization:
• VHB TAPES: 3M™ VHB Tapes are acrylic foam adhesives characterized by a very high conformability. 3M VHB Tapes open up a world of possibilities — eliminating rivets, screws, bolts and welds — and improving design construction, aesthetics and productivity. With unmatched strength, these tapes increase the overall durability and reliability of every product bond. 3M VHB Tapes resist hot, cold and cycling temperatures, UV light, moisture and solvents. They seal against environmental conditions and damp vibration to reduce metallic wear-and-tear.
• DUAL LOCK: 3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners combine a good mechanical seal with the possibility of being repositionable and re-closable. 3M Dual Lock and 3M Hook & Loop guarantees maximum design freedom and greater comfort during maintenance, repair and replacement.
• STRUCTURAL ADHESIVES: The structural adhesives guarantee high adhesion and durability performance. The wide range includes adhesives resistant to high temperatures, solvents and external atmospheric agents that need a correct preparation of the substrates, but even easier use adhesives with a greater tolerance to the presence of contaminants on the surfaces to be assembled.
To a correct selection and use of the various adhesives you can consult https://engage.3m.com/de-sall-form.
You are free to propose the materials that are more in line with the product typology you propose. Each adhesive has a different performance depending on the underlayer. Accordingly, we suggest you to attentively go through the material mentioned above.
You are invited to present your projects in detail, showing some views of the final product, preferably including some technical drawings, providing an explanation of the innovation related to the use of the 3M adhesive system and the correct sizing of the adhesives. In order to send additional materials (3D files, technical drawings, extra views, other in-depth materials, etc.) you may attach a .ZIP archive directly from the upload page.
Participants can present one or more projects, but only the projects published on the www.desall.com web site, via the upload page related to “3M for Design” will be accepted.
• Product innovation, originality and creativity (5/5)
• Correct use of 3M adhesives (4/5)
• Technical feasibility (4/5)
• Aesthetics (3/5)
• Project presentation (3/5)
Winner will be announced approximately before the end of December 2019.
There is no entry fee to participate!
This product design competition is open to designers and creative talents of any nationality aged 18 years or older.
There is no entry fee to participate!