AIANY Design Awards 2019 now is over!
AIANY Design Awards 2019, an annual design competition organised by AIA New York, the oldest and largest chapter of the American Institute of Architects, has been recently opened for submission inviting outstanding architectural design by AIA New York members, New York City-based architects in any location, and work in New York City by architects around the globe.
AIA New York, the oldest and largest chapter of the American Institute of Architects, recently has announced the call for entries for its design competition titled AIANY Design Awards 2019, that recognizes outstanding architectural design by AIA New York members, New York City-based architects in any location, and work in New York City by architects around the globe.
The purpose of this awards program is to honor the architects, clients, and consultants who work together to achieve design excellence.
Awards will be granted in five categories:
• Architecture – Recognizes design excellence in completed buildings.
• Interiors – Recognizes design excellence in building interiors and related architectural work, as well as new and improved approaches to building components and architectural products.
• Urban Design – Recognizes the most compelling work and ideas, both built and unbuilt, that confront and resolve environmental and urban challenges at a scale larger than that of an individual building.
• Projects – Recognizes temporary structures, conceptual work, pavilions, and research. Work in this category does not need to be intended for construction. Projects undertaken for academic credit are not eligible. Entries to competitions will be considered.
• Sustainability – Recognizes excellence in ecological stewardship, including reduced environmental impact and reduced energy consumption, as well as attention to quality of life issues, resiliency, and community engagement within the urban environment.
Submissions may be exemplary in the following areas (including, but not limited to):
• Best of Typology, including outstanding achievement in building type (i.e. education, affordable housing, justice, healthcare, community facility, historic preservation, corporate interiors, high-rise, commercial retail. etc.)
• Technical Advancement, including engineering achievements (i.e. structural, mechanical, transportation, computer, etc.) as well as innovative use of materials and urban systems.
• Innovation and Research, including projects investigating design advocacy, cross-disciplinary research, pilot projects, public service, and theoretical propositions.
• Preservation/Restoration, including the demonstration of exemplary skill, sensitivity, and thoroughness in preservation, restoration, or adaptive reuse and/or sensitive reinforcement of successful historical development patterns.
Organizer strongly encourage submissions that reflect a broad and inclusive definition of design excellence. Each entry is judged for the success with which it has met its individual requirements. Submissions must exhibit design achievement that demonstrates exemplary skill and creativity in the resolution and integration of formal, functional, and technical requirements, including ecological stewardship and social responsibility. Submissions should also reflect a strong sense of place, history, and purpose.
The following projects are eligible for submission:
• Architecture and Interiors projects completed after January 1, 2014.
• Sustainability projects completed after January 1, 2014 and in operation for at least one year.
• All completed New York State projects must credit New York State licensed architect of record.
• Urban Design and Projects submissions must have been initiated after January 1, 2014.
• Prior winning projects in any category may not be resubmitted.
Prior winning projects in any category may not be resubmitted.
AIA New York will publicly announce the winners of the Design Awards at the January 14th Jury Symposium. All winners will be recognized for their achievements at the Honors and Awards Luncheon on April 15th at Cipriani Wall Street. Winning projects will be presented at a Design Awards exhibition at the Center for Architecture and will be published in a special spring awards issue of Oculus magazine. Award recipients shall be notified regarding exhibition materials following the jury symposium and announcement of the winners on January 14. The 2019 Design Awards exhibition will open on April 15 and will remain on view through early summer.
• $200 AIA New York members
• $200 AIA New York Corporate, Corresponding, and Allied Professionals
• $100 Associate AIA and International Associate AIA members
• $500 other registered architects
AIA New York’s annual Design Awards program recognizes outstanding architectural design by AIA New York members, New York City-based architects in any location, and work in New York City by architects around the globe.