TDC Type Competition - Ascenders 2018 now is over!
The Type Directors Club recently has announced a new graphic design competition - TDC Type Competition Ascenders 2018, dedicated to typography in all its different forms, to recognize outstanding type-oriented work of designers who are 35 years of age and under.
The Type Directors Club, the leading international organization whose purpose is to support excellence in typography, both in print and on screen, recently has announced graphic design competition - TDC Type Competition - Ascenders 2018 hoping to recognize the work of designers who are 35 years of age and under.
This portfolio-based competition is dedicated to typography in all its different forms, encourages designers from around the world to submit portfolios showcasing their use of type.
The Type Directors Club wants to honor ten aspiring and inspiring designers who are expanding the medium of typography. They invite upcoming designers to submit their type-based portfolios to be assessed, debated, and judged by the Board of the Type Directors Club.
• Advertisements and advertising inserts
• Annual Reports and other financial reports
• Apps - submit one of the following: Screen captures of 2-4 representative screens, a short video showing the key screens or animation, URL
• Book Jackets/Covers
• Brochures and Direct Mail
• Editorial - (magazine, newspaper, newsletter)
• Exhibits/Displays/Point-of-Purchase/Signage/Architectural and Dimensional Design
• Miscellaneous - announcements, invitations, cards, menus, etc.
• Motion (TV Shows & Feature Film Titles) - You may include the stills in the pdf. Supplement them by submitting a URL to the video file. The video file must show the following: Opening Titles, Visual Design, End Credits
• Motion (Online Titles/Live Events/Unscreened Work/Experimental) - You may include the stills in the pdf. Supplement them by submitting a URL to the video file.
• Typeface Design
• Websites - For judging submit one of the following: Screen captures of 2-4 representative screens, a short video showing the key screens or animation, URL
• Type Directors Club seeks submissions in the form of a single PDF portfolio containing designs that rely on type, are dominated by type, show particular ingenuity in the use of type, or create type. Other elements, such as photography and illustration, may be present, but the judges will focus on type.
• You need to send hi-res PDF with your best 8 to 12 designs. Page size: 11" x 8.5"/279 mm x 215 mm (horizontal/landscape format), resolution of 300 dpi.
• The submitted work can be for a client or self-initiated work. Each page in your PDF should have your full name, category, and page number. For work that exists online or as motion graphics, include still images and a URL for judges to view work onscreen.
Members of the TDC Board of Directors will review all submitted work and select 10 aspiring and inspiring designers who are expanding the art of typography.
Only winners will be notified the week of July 16, 2018 by email.
Ascenders 2018 honorees will be announced on July 18, 2018 at the Type Directors Club annual awards ceremony at The Cooper Union in New York. The Type Directors Club will exhibit the Ascenders 2018 work and will present each designer with an award designed by renowned designer Matteo Bologna.
Single Person Fee
• $95 (US & International) TDC Members
• $110 (US & International) Non Members
There is an fee 50% discount for designers and graphic designers who are residents in the countries that are listed on the official website.
TDC Type Competition - Ascenders 2018 is open to designers who are 35 years of age and under.
There is no entry fee to participate!