LA+ CREATURE Design Ideas Competition now is over!
LA+ CREATURE Design Ideas Competition: LA+ Interdisciplinary Journal of Landscape Architecture is hosting its third international competition, LA+ CREATURE, asking whether we can live with animals in new ways, whether we can transcend the dualism of decimation on the one hand and protection on the other.
LA+ Interdisciplinary Journal of Landscape Architecture is hosting its third international competition, LA+ CREATURE.
This design competition, the third in the LA+ international series, asks whether we can live with animals in new ways, whether we can transcend the dualism of decimation on the one hand and protection on the other, and how we can use design to open our cities, our landscapes, and our minds to a more symbiotic existence with other creatures.
Submissions can take a variety of forms including, but not limited to:
• Articles/Essays – 2000 to 3500 words
• Design Criticism – under 3000 words
• Provocations – 600 to 1000 words
• Interviews – contact editor
• Book/Exhibition Reviews – contact editor
• Visual Essays – text approx. 500 words
• Original Illustrations, Artworks, Designs, or Photography
The LA+ CREATURE design ideas competition asks entrants to do three things:
1. First, choose any land, sea, or avian nonhuman creature as your client (any species, any size, anywhere) and identify its needs (energy, shelter, procreation, movement, interaction, environment, etc.). It can be an individual creature, a specific population of creatures, an entire species, or even multiple species.
2. Second, design (or redesign) a place, structure, thing, system, and/or process that improves your client’s life. Your design can be anything – a building, an environment/habitat, a process, a mechanism, an apparatus, a landscape, a place, an app, a program, a PR campaign, an art installation, a space, a place, a park, an energy/food source… anything! 3. Third, your design must, in some way, increase human awareness of and empathy towards your client’s existence.
➜ SHEET 1 (8.75 x 10.5 inches) - scaled plan and section showing your design in context.
➜ SHEET 2 (17.5 x 10.5 inches) - supporting imagery, the content and layout of which is at entrants’ discretion.
➜ SHEET 3 (OPTIONAL) (17.5 x 10.5 inches) - supporting imagery, the content and layout of which is at entrants’ class=’lila">➜ A supporting statement under 300 words identifying the creature and explaining the design, its site/location (if relevant), and how the design fulfils the brief.
Winners will be announced on December 8, 2020. The LA+ CREATURE issue will be published in Fall 2021.
All submissions require a $50 entry fee.
LA+ welcomes submissions from faculty, professionals, students, activists, writers and thinkers in any discipline that can bring relevant critical perspective to the theme chosen for each issue.
The competition will award a total of $10,000/strong>. The 5 winners will receive $2,000, a certificate, and publication in the LA+ CREATURE issue. In addition, 10 honorable mentions to receive a certificate and publication in the LA+ CREATURE issue.