| by InfoDesigners | submitted by Irena Sibila
D&AD New Blood Awards 2019 - International Creative award
This competition has expired on
The call for applications is now open!
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: New Blood Awards 2019, organised by D&AD has been recently opened for entries in its new edition, open to young people, students and recent graduates of any age, is a great way for emerging new talent to experience the reality of the creative industry.
D&AD New Blood Awards has been recently opened for entries in its 2019 edition. This Creative Award each year celebrates and nurtures outstanding work in the design and advertising industry with the aims to cultivate new talent, ensuring the next generation of creatives gets off to a flying start. As well as the professional awards, D&AD aims to cultivate new talent, ensuring the next generation of creatives gets off to a flying start.
This year 19 of the best brands have issued creative briefs. Take them and respond. It’s your way of showing the creative industry that you’re here and things can be done differently.
Check your chosen brief. The What and How to Submit section will tell you the formats you can submit your response in.
You can respond to as many briefs as you like. You can also submit more than one response per brief.
You can enter as an individual, or up to five people can work together and enter as a team. Students and non-students can work together too. If you're a student you need a tutor to enter.
A lot of the briefs ask you to show highlights from your creative process, research, and development. To do this, you could include...
• a summary of your research approach
• the key insight that led to your solution
• how you developed the idea from insight to solution.
• alternative ideas you explored.
• scamps, initial hand sketches, prototypes, mock-ups.
• mood boards and other reference imager
How to prepare your entries:
• Use Video for Presentation films, moving image executions, TV ads, etc. Format need to be MP4 and MOV only. These must be multiplexed with audio and video in one single file. Do not include a clock or slate at the start.
• Use your time wisely and wow the judge, summarise your project in the first 30 seconds, focus on the creative idea and its relevance to the audience. You don’t need to make it elaborate and fancy. If you’re demonstrating an idea using mock-ups and screenshots, clearly show how it would work.
• JPEG is the only image format accepted, colour mode need to be RGB and image resolution need to be at least 300dpi, maximum file size do not need exceed 10mb, dimensions at least 410mm on the longest side. Since images will be viewed on screen so landscape is strongly recommended unless portrait mode is integral to the brief. Aspect ratio up to you, but since your work will be viewed on screen, ranging from judges’ own laptops to widescreen TVs, so images will look their best in landscape at 16:9.
• Your slides must be clear and easy to view when the image is viewed as fit-to-screen on a standard laptop. Organizer strongly recommend landscape format. Make sure text is big enough to be read without zooming, and keep it short, clear and relevant.
• If you woudlike to submit Physical Work like prototypes, mockups, print executions, etc. Download labels for physical work from the entry site when you submit your work. Fill them in and attach entry labels to the back or base of each object. Package together and attach a completed postage label to the package. Your package must reach D&AD at the address on the entry labels by 5pm GMT on Wednesday 27 March 2019.
• If you woudlike to submit Interactive Work (Urls) like interactive executions, digital prototypes, websites, apps, etc. URLs are only accepted where the website itself is part of the entry, or to send zip files via Dropbox. Interactive work must be Chrome compatible.
• If you woudlike to submit Text (PDFs) like scripts or written content(eg. long-form copy) only. PDFs are only accepted for text-only content – don’t include images. These need to be A4, and only 1 page per file. Use a clear font and 12 point text.
• If you woudlike to submit Audio like radio or audio content executions only. Your file format need to be MP3, sample size: 16-bit, sample rate: 44100khz, maximum file size do not need exceed 10mb, file extension must read .mp3. Don’t include audio introductions or presentations.
Your ideas will be seen by representatives of the brands, along with a panel of top creatives from around the world.
Winning work will be selected by a panel of judges based on selection criteria:
• An excellent creative idea
• Great craft or execution
• Answers the brief
The Award levels are as follows:
New Blood Wood Pencil
Awarded to a shortlist of the best work submitted for each brief.
New Blood Graphite Pencil
Awarded to work that goes further to nail the three judging criteria: a good idea, well executed, and relevant.
New Blood Yellow Pencil
Awarded to work that is outstanding, excelling across all judging criteria and potentially causing a pang of jealousy.
New Blood White Pencil
Awarded to outstanding work in responseto any of the briefs that uses the power of creativity to do good in the world.
New Blood Black Pencil
Given to the best of the best, this is the ultimate award for new creatives. Each individual will receive a Pencil, and there’s also a £2000 prize fund shared between New Blood Black Pencil winners.
New Blood Academy
Anyone who wins a Pencil, any Pencil, will have the opportunity to apply for the New Blood Academy. This is a creative bootcamp that catapults young creatives into industry. Attendees will be pushed to their creative limits through a non-stop programme of talks, workshops, briefs, hacks, and live challenges. And there’s more...
Some briefs also have additional prizes. Information regarding this can be found in each brief pack.
The cost per entry is £20. For D&AD Full Members and Education Network Members, it’s only £15. The price is per entry, not per person.
Who can enter?
Anyone worldwide of or between 18 and 24 years of age on 1 January 2019 can enter. It is also open to students and recent graduates of any age. Student entrants must be enrolled on a recognised full or part-time higher education level course, anywhere in the world, on 1 January 2019. To enter as a recent graduate, entrants need to have graduated from a recognised course on or after 1 January 2017.
The prizes to be awarded are as follows:
• New Blood In Book: Name included in the D&AD Annual, a certificate, a year’s free membership of D&AD (not inclusive of free copy of the D&AD Annual), winning work featured on the D&AD website, the right to use the relevant D&AD New Blood Awards Pencil Mark.
• New Blood Nomination: As In Book, plus eligibility to apply for a place on the New Blood Academy.
• New Blood Yellow Pencil: As Nomination, plus New Blood Yellow Pencil trophy, winning work featured in the D&AD Annual.
• New Blood Black Pencil: As Yellow Pencil, plus New Blood Black Pencil trophy, 2,000 GBP cash prize (to be shared among all New Blood Black Pencil winners).
• New Blood White Pencil: As Nomination, plus New Blood White Pencil trophy, winning work featured in the D&AD Annual.
Moreover, Pencil winners will be eligible to apply for a portion of a travel and accommodation fund of 15,000 GBP to support attendance of the New Blood Academy or Awards ceremony.
For all further informations about the D&AD New Blood Awards 2019 visit the following official website: