• About •
Design award organised by the European Union Intellectual Property Office and titled DesignEuropa Awards 2018 celebrate excellence in design and design management among Registered Community Design (RCD) holders, whether they are individual right holders, small businesses or large enterprises.
The DesignEuropa Awards seek to recognise companies and designers that have brought outstanding design to the market with the support and protection of the RCD.
The aim of the Awards is to raise awareness of the design protection system in the EU and to promote design as a valuable intellectual property right that underpins our economy and supports jobs.
There are three categories:
• The Industry Award: for RCDs owned by companies which have more than 50 employees and over €10 million in turnover/€10 million balance sheet total
• The Small and Emerging Companies Award: for RCDs owned by companies which have fewer than 50 employees and less than €10 million turnover/€10 million balance sheet total or for companies established after January 1, 2014, regardless of their size
• The Lifetime Achievement Award: for individual designers with a significant body of work of aesthetic value, created over the course of a career, which has also had a demonstrable impact on the marketplace.
Candidates can submit up to five entries (one RCD per entry), provided that each RCD has been designed by a different designer or by a team of designers with at least one different member.
All designs submitted must be valid RCDs at the time of sending the application, with no pending invalidity proceedings. Finalist designs must retain their validity throughout the selection and award period. Designs entered for the competition must be marketed by the owner of the RCD or a licensee.
The panel of prestigious judges, composed of recognised experts from the fields of industrial design, business and intellectual property rights, may nominate up to 4 finalists in each category. A list of these finalists will be published on the official competition website and in other publications relating to the Awards.
• aesthetic value and visual appeal
• demonstrable impact on the market
• sound marketing and management of design and other intellectual property rights
Finalists will be announced in October 2018, and the winners will be revealed at the DesignEuropa Award ceremony on 27 November 2018 in Warsaw, Poland. Travel and accommodation costs will be borne by the organiser.
There is no entry fee to partcipate.
It's free to enter!
• Eligibility •
The competition is open to any person, entity, or institution that holds a valid RCD.
• Prize •
The winner of each category will receive a trophy and a certificate.
Finalists and winners will be featured on the DesignEuropa Awards page and in newsletters and other promotional and multimedia material published for disseminating information about this activity. Information on the company, the designers and the selected designs will also be included in press dossiers for specialised press and media, and may be used for other promotional activities organised by the Office.