| by InfoDesigners | submitted by Irena Sibila
2019 Aluminum Extrusion Design Competition - International Design competitions for students
This competition has expired on
The call for applications is now open!
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: The 2019 Aluminum Extrusion Design Competition hosted by Aluminum Extruders Council (AEC) and ET Foundation challenges designers and engineers to think about aluminum extrusions as a holistic solution to a design problem by creating a product or system that includes at least one extruded aluminum component.
Aluminum Extruders Council (AEC) and ET Foundation are hosting 2019 Aluminum Extrusion Design Competition , an student Design Competition that invites participation by students worldwide with intent to enlighten students and engineering, design, and architecture professionals about aluminum extrusions’ superior advantages and many applications.
Aluminum extrusions are found all around us – from buildings and transportation to consumer products and machinery. Aluminum extrusion is often the most functional, cost-effective and quickest path between function and form.
Aluminum profiles can be formed to:
• Reduce piece count / provide complex integral features
• Facilitate manufacturing and assembly
• Reduce costs and lead times for materials and production
• Increase product reliability and durability
• Simplify maintenance and repairs for the final user
• “Build in” functionality and an attractive appearance that can make the product easier to sell
• Help support sustainability goals through aluminum’s recyclability benefits
This competition challenges designers and engineers to think about aluminum extrusions as a holistic solution to a design problem by creating a product or system that includes at least one extruded aluminum component. Think beyond the ordinary to come up with unique and resourceful uses for aluminum extrusion!
Students have a unique way of looking at the world, which makes them well-qualified to offer innovative solutions to design challenges. Think beyond the ordinary to come up with unique and resourceful uses for extruded aluminum in the Aluminum Extrusion Design Competition!
• You need to enter, design a product that incorporates at least one extruded aluminum profile (custom designs are preferred, however products designs that incorporate standard shapes will also be considered).
• The entry must be a viable extrusion-based product that meets the demands of the environment while contributing to the quality of life for its intended users.
• The design must be original and make use of at least one extruded aluminum component.
During the 2019 Aluminum Extrusion Design Competition, there is also the opportunity for students to use their aluminum extrusion knowledge and create a sustainable design!
Interested students should indicate they are seeking consideration for the Sustainable Design Award on the Student Design Competition Entry Form. Explain in the written brief, how their entry meets the criteria.
Individual and team submissions will be accepted.
Winning designs will be selected by a panel of aluminum extrusion industry professionals who will judge entries in Spring 2019.
Winning entries will be those that best demonstrate the benefits of aluminum extrusions whether by inventing a new product or improving an existing one – by achieving the following objectives:
• Creativity - Innovative design, new application capability, methods to meet a new design challenge.
• Practicality - Ease of fabrication and assembly, cost-effectiveness, use of extruded aluminum over other materials or processes.
• Product/Process Advantage - Product/Process improvement: customization or improvement of extrusion processes, close tolerances, takes full advantage of extrusion capabilities to improve a product.
• Market Impact/Potential - Design/product marketability and likelihood of market success.
Winners will be announced in Spring 2019 and will be featured on the AEC website, as well as promoted to design and trade press publications.
The next professional competition will be held to coincide with the 12th International Aluminum Extrusion Technology Seminar, scheduled for May 19-22, 2020 in Orlando, Florida.
There is no entry fees to participate in this competition!
It's free to enter!
Who can enter?
High school, undergraduate, graduate, trade and technical school students are eligible to enter the 2019 Aluminum Extrusion Design Competition. You must be enrolled in and attending school to enter.
The winning entries in the Student Design Competition will be awarded in the following amounts:
• 1st Place - $3,000
• 2nd Place - $2,000
• 3rd Place - $1,000
• Sustainable Design - $2,500
For all further informations about the 2019 Aluminum Extrusion Design Competition visit the following official website: