NEWH Green Voice Design Competition 2019-2020 now is over!
The Green Voice Design Competition, organised by NEWH, is accepting submissions for its 2019-2020 edition inviting all interior design and architecture students to participate.
The NEWH, the hospitality industry network is accepting submissions for 2019-2020 edition of its annual global Green Voice Design Competition, themed ’Adaptive Reuse Hotel Project’ inviting all interior design and architecture students to participate.
The design competition provides students with the opportunity to showcase their design skills while utilizing the very best in sustainable design products and practices.
Students must execute a dynamic, creative, cutting edge design utilizing the very best products and technologies which encompass sustainable topics such as: site selection, water efficiency, energy conservation, products/materials, and indoor environmental quality. In addition to the physical aspects of design, the functional daily use of the space and how the occupants can operate the facility in a sustainable manner such as encouraging recycling and reuse, water and energy conservation to create a truly sustainable concept. All work must be student’s original work.
• scout and use an existing building, not currently a hotel (i.e. use Google Earth).
• convert your building and surrounding site into a hotel.
• to improve building shape/size add shipping containers to the building and site.
• all projects should encompass basic ecosystems of a sustainable project - Air | Water | Energy.
• no budget required, have fun!
• organizer encourage the use of rapid visualization sketches (actual/virtual) and perspectives to communicate your design story.
• actual work may be completely created virtually or photographed for submission.
• select either LEED or WELL v2 certification to pursue for your project (do not combine LEED & WELL v2)
• students are encouraged to research their selected certification system and project criteria, research building and finish materials and new advances in sustainable buildings
• Building must be located anywhere on earth within a Secondary or Tertiary City.
• Provide a narrative (500 words or less) on the building and city selected; describe why a developer might be interested.
• Provide Design Development of 3 spaces within the building:
1) Main Lobby - Front of House only (back office and administration not included) maximum 1,200 SF
2) Rooftop Bar, Max. 5,000 SF; Show entry/exit flow and 1/3 of floor plan reserved for the kitchen. Rooftop restaurant/bar needs to have a minimum of 25% open air/to the elements so that the students can design shading etc. The kitchen and actual bar should be in an enclosed space so that the equipment is in a controlled environment.
3) Guest Suite - This program must be space planned into the added shipping containers*- maximum of 3 shipping containers (approx. 900 SF). Shipping Container sizes will be standardized project wide as: Exterior Dimensions: 40’L x 8’W x 8’-6"H | Interior Dimensions: 39’-5"L x 7’-8"W x 7’-9"H
Design MUST include (but is not limited to):
• Building location and orientation on a site plan
• Give reasoning for selection and orientation of additional shipping containers
• Sustainable relationship to surrounding community and culture
• Select EITHER LEED or WELL v2 certification to pursue for your project (do not combine LEED & WELL v2)
• Provide material and furniture specifications to meet the selected certification process
All submissions will be judged on their professional appearance by a panel of industry judges. Selected top 5 finalists (undergraduate and graduate) will move on to be judged by a panel of professional industry judges. All applicants will receive an email stating their application status prior to March 30th,2020.
Winner(s) must be able to attend the awards event with travel/lodging provided. The event will be held in May annually at HD Expo in Las Vegas, Nevada.
There is no entry fee to participate!
For further information about this competition please visit the official website.
No Entry FeeThere is no entry fee to participate!
The NEWH Green Voice Design Competition is open to Interior Design or Architecture students (only), undergraduate (in a 4-year program) or graduate students attending an accredited college.
Up to 2 students majoring in Interior Design or Architecture (only) may work together as a team.