Pop-Up @ the Square Design Competition 2017 - DESIGN COMPETITION
| by InfoDesigners
This competition has expired on
The Call for Entries titled Pop-Up @ the Square Design Competition 2017 is now open!
Pop-Up @ the Square Design Competition 2017
is calling for entries. Below you can find all details about this design competition:
design competition Pop-Up @ the Square, recently opened for entries, invities all qualified teams and individuals to create a playful pop-up installation for kids of all ages in Centennial Square, to temporarily transform Victoria, Canada’s signature public square into a "pop-up" play destination for this summer!
The Pop-Up @ the Square, design competition is recently opened and organised by The City of Victoria in partnership with the Downtown Victoria Business Association, inviting all qualified teams and individuals to submit creative design-build concepts to temporarily transform Victoria, Canada’s signature public square into a "pop-up" play destination for next summer!
Every great city has a dynamic public square where people of all ages gather to play and celebrate. For the City of Victoria that place is Centennial Square, in the heart of Victoria’s vibrant downtown.
The City of Victoria, in partnership with the Downtown Victoria Business Association, is seeking creative solutions to integrate play into Centennial Square this year.
Design teams are encouraged to explore unconventional approaches to “play” that contribute to the architectural character and public realm experience in Centennial Square, in the heart of downtown Victoria, Canada.
The purpose of this competition is to select a team to design, build and install a child-friendly, playful, playable feature that appeals to a wide range of ages. Design teams are encouraged to explore unconventional approaches to ‘play’ that contribute to the architectural character and public realm experience in Centennial Square.
Teams must consider the following project objectives in their submissions:
- Play value: design submissions should clearly demonstrate how they will add play value, interactivity, and fun to the Square.
- Relationship with events: design submissions should be designed to be easily moved within the Square as required to accommodate event set-up. The City of Victoria will be responsible for costs and labour associated with moving the installation as required.
- Local context: design submissions should fit within the local context of downtown Victoria, and the project site. Teams are encouraged to consider local themes, including the context of Chinese and Lekwungen history of this site.
- Robustness/ability to be relocated: design submissions should be robust enough to withstand heavy public use over multiple seasons, and that may be suitable to be relocated to another public space in the City in subsequent years.
To ensure installations are movable to accommodate event set-up, designers should consider the following guidelines:
- Installations should be able to be easily dismantled using common tools and equipment (no specialized equipment such as cranes, electric lifts, etc.).
- Larger installations should be able to be dismantled into individual components/pieces so that each component or piece can be lifted and moved by two people.
- Each individual component or piece should not exceed 200lbs.
- Overall installation or individual components should be able to be moved within Centennial Square using a four wheel dolly (2'x3' surface).
- In the event that the installation is required to be removed off-site, the overall installation or individual components should be designed to easily fit on the bed of a City of Victoria flatbed truck(s) (Max. 8' long x 6' wide).
Materials and finishes should be designed to withstand rain, wind, and abrasion from general use. Use of common and easily accessible materials is encouraged to enable the City of Victoria to undertake periodic repair and maintenance as required. Installations should not include vegetation.
A panel of qualified jurors will judge submissions based on the following criteria: play value, relationship to events, local context, robustness, feasibility.
The winner and the People's Choice will be announced on May 2. Installation will take place in early July to be enjoyed during the summer and fall.
There is no entry fee for this competition!
It's free to enter!
This competition is open to all urban designers, industrial designers, architects, landscape architects, contemporary artists and creative types.
The winning design will receive a $5,000 (CAD) award and up to $50,000 (CAD) to design, build and install a playful, playable feature in Victoria’s signature public square. A People’s Choice Award determined through public voting will receive a $1,000 cash prize.
Call For Entries Info
For all further informations about the Pop-Up @ the Square Design Competition 2017 or to submit your works visit the following official website: http://www.victoria.ca/EN/main/residents/culture/outdoor-venues/centennial-square/pop-up-the-square-design-competition.html
Category: DESIGN COMPETITION
Official Website: Link
Published by: InfoDesigners
Fees: NO ENTRY FEES!
Listed by: InfoDesigners