Samsung Mobile Design Competition 2019 now is over!
CALL FOR ENTRIES: Samsung and Dezeen launch 2019 mobile design competition to challenge professional and student designers to imagine how we will use mobile devices in the future and present fresh perspectives on how Galaxy smartphones, tablets, and wearables could evolve.
Samsung and Dezeen recently has announced new mobile design competition that challenge professional and student designers to imagine how we will use mobile devices in the future and present fresh perspectives on how Galaxy smartphones, tablets, and wearables could evolve.
Samsung is looking for fresh perspectives and ideas for how Samsung Galaxy devices could be used in the future. This is part of Samsung’s wider strategy of incorporating user feedback and open collaboration with a wide variety of different designers to inform the future development of its products.
① Next Mobile - to design a new accessory for Galaxy smartphones, tablets and wearables – such as smartphone cases, tablet covers, watch straps or earbud cases – which enhances the device and provides added value for the user.
② Next Mobile Wallpaper Paradigm - to create a new wallpaper design for Galaxy devices with screens, which could incorporate elements such as interactivity and contextual awareness.
Those entering the Next Mobile must design a new accessory for a Samsung Galaxy device – whether that is for a smartphone, tablet or a wearable device like a smartwatch or earbuds. The judges will be looking for innovative accessory designs that provide interesting new interactive functionality or features, which create a new experience for the user.
The following need to be submited:
• A description of your design explaining the concept and any relevant features (maximum 300 words).
• 3D CAD files of your design (Parasolid, IGES or STEP).
• A hero product render clearly showing the design.
• A lifestyle image showing the accessory in use by the target audience.
• A visualisation showing the accessory next to existing Samsung Galaxy mobile devices.
• A PDF presentation (maximum 10 pages) featuring renders, technical drawings and text explaining your design and target audience. The PDF presentation should be in a landscape format, with a maximum resolution of 300 dpi and a maximum file size of 5 mb.
• Optionally, a video or animation showcasing your design and its features, that should be MPEG in a MOV or MP4 container, with a maximum file size of 25 mb.
The 3 images (product render, lifestyle image and visualisation next to existing Galaxy devices) should be single images without logos, frames or text. They should be either JPG or PNG, in a landscape format, with a maximum resolution of 300 dpi and a maximum file size of 1 mb each.
NEXT MOBILE WALLPAPER PARADIGM
Those entering the Next Mobile Wallpaper Paradigm are free to design a new wallpaper for a Galaxy mobile device or devices, whether static, animated or live. It could be static or animated. It could be an interactive wallpaper that responds to the user’s input or gesture, or it could be a generative wallpaper that changes based on the user’s data or surroundings. The judges will be looking for designs that suggest new possibilities for future mobile devices, such as interactive wallpapers that respond to the user’s touch and movement, or generative designs that transform depending on the user’s data or situation.
You need to follow steps decribed on the official webite. The following need to be submited:
• A description of your design explaining the concept and any interactive or generative functionality (maximum 300 words).
• A still hero image showing your wallpaper design on the lockscreen of a Galaxy smartphone.
• A still image showing your wallpaper design on different Galaxy devices.
• Your final design, output as either a still image, a video, or an APK file. If your wallpaper is designed to be animated, interactive or generative, then please ensure this functionality is clearly demonstrated in your submission.
Resolution for your final design should be 3040 by 3040 pixels
. Images must be PNG or JPEG. Videos must be MPEG4 in a MOV or MP4 container and must be between 5 and 40 seconds long.
The top 5 finalists in each category will be required to make a short video presenting their idea and documenting the making process for Samsung’s promotional material for the contest. This video is not a part of the evaluation criteria, and entrants do not need to submit this video when they enter the competition. But contestants should be prepared to make the video if they are selected as a finalist.
Contestants in a both categories should upload all their submission material in a single ZIP file, with a maximum total file size of 1GB. In addition, they should upload their hero product rendering and (optionally) a video preview showing their design in the separate fields, as indicated on the form.
Entries from designers or teams will be accepted, and entrants are free to enter one or both of the categories.
The top 5 entries in each category will be announced after 4 September 2019. The finalists will then be invited to present their ideas in London on 25 September 2019 before a jury including Dezeen editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs, Samsung executives and a panel of designers. This jury will then select the competition’s first, second and third winners.
The top 3 winners will be invited to travel to the Samsung Developer Conference in San Jose, USA, from 28 to 31 October 2019 for the award ceremony and exhibition of the designsMock-ups of the top five entries in each category will also be showcased at the conference.
There is no entry fee to partecipate!
Who can participate? ⇣
All entrants must be over 18, professional designers or design students, and able to present their work to a panel of English-speaking judges.
No Entry Fee!There is no entry fee to participate!