| by InfoDesigners | submitted by Irena Sibila
Copper and the Home 2018 - Design and Sustainability - International Design contest
This competition has expired on
The call for applications is now open!
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: The Copper and the Home is the Design Contest that challenges the minds of young designers, architects, engineers and students from all over the world to explore and harness the properties of copper highlighting the beauty and versatility of a fascinating, multifaceted material, which can add both aesthetic and technical value to the most daring projects.
The Copper and the Home is a biennial Design Contest established in 2006 that challenges the minds of young designers, architects, engineers and students from all over the world to explore and harness the properties of copper that make it essential to modern living, and reimagine how it can improve our lives and enhance our daily routines through creative design.
This Design Contest highlights the beauty and versatility of a fascinating, multifaceted material, which can add both aesthetic and technical value to the most daring projects.
This year, it especially celebrates the contributions copper can make to a sustainable future. Copper and the Home invites creative mind to design objects that combine function and splendour, highlighting and harnessing the properties of copper, from electrical and thermal conductivity, hardness, strength and ductility to its recyclability and long-treasured beauty. Beyond that, its ability to alloy with a wide range of metals opens the doorsto a world of brass, bronze, cupronickel and other alloys.
The object designed must be intended for domestic use, or use in offices, shops, schools, hospitals or public buildings. As an example, it could fit one of these categories:
• Kitchen goods
• Furnishing accessories
• Coverings and decorations (indoor and outdoor wall coverings, floors, dividing walls, shieldings, doors, etc.) • Functional elements
• Technical elements related to renewables and energy savings
Whilst it is possible to integrate other materials into the project, copper or copper alloys must form a major and significant part of it, particularly highlighting the sustainability and recyclability of copper.
The project should celebrate the technical, aesthetic and expressive potential of copper and its alloys, and be suitable for mass production.
Projects must be submitted by email and the files must have the following features:
• Drawings and photos in JPG or PDF format (in high-definition–300 dpi–and a minimum size of 21x29.7 cm), which can be read by the most common software with a Windows® or Mac® operating system.
• A report in Word or PDF format, with a maximum of 2000 alphanumeric characters.
• The project (drawing, photos and technical reports) should be marked with a logo or a pseudonym. It is forbidden to include the author’s name.
The Jury will be composed of three in professionals the field of architecture and design. The Jury will consider technological innovations related to the production cycle of the object amongst other evaluation criteria.
There is no entry fees to partecipate in this contest!
It's free to enter!
Who can enter?
The competition is open to all those born after October 31st 1978 and features two categories:
• Designers, architects, engineers–participating individually or in a group–as well as graduated employees working in these fields.
• Individual students, or groups, enrolled in a higher education school of interior design or interior decorating, attending faculties of architecture, engineering or interior design, undertaking doctorates, masters or equivalent courses, and with the coordination of at least one course teacher who will sign a participant’s written certification.
The following prizes may be awarded:
Designers, Architects and Engineers Category
• 1st Prize: €4,000 • 2nd Prize: €2,500 Student Category
• Prize: €1,500 A special plaque will be awarded to the school whose course is considered to have most effectively addressed the competition.
In addition to the listed prizes, the Jury may assign ex-aequo prizes and special mentions based on its final judgement, rewarding the entry that best emphasises copper’s contribution to sustainability and energy saving, and its recyclability.
For all further informations about the Copper and the Home 2018 - Design and Sustainability visit the following official website: