Silent Manga Audition SMA10 2019 now is over!
Silent Manga Audition SMA10 2019: The Silent Manga Autodion SMA10 2019 is the 10th round of drawing competition organised by Coamix corp of Japan is now open for submission and like every year offers to all manga creator a chance to work with manga pros from Tokyo.
Silent Manga Autodion SMA10 2019 is an event and drawing competition organised by Coamix corp of Japan and lead by CEO Nobuhiko Horie, aiming to discover and support Manga (Japanese style comics) and artists from around the world. By far this is the largest event of its kind and is an opportunity that any aspiring manga artist can’t afford to miss.
Intentions of Silent Manga are strong and clear: to embrace the techniques used by early manga masters like Osamu Tezuka, on basis that manga is a “Motion Picture drawn on Paper”. Manga is a method of entertaining readers by portraying a character’s life through drawings.
This is the “Original powers of Manga”, that made Manga, the unique medium of expression, loved by the people around world today.
This year theme is “FRIENDSHIP” / “EFFORT” / “VICTORY”.
• “FRIENDSHIP” - Not just a friendly disposition, but FRIENDSHIP forged in ACTION!(e.g. Helping your friends; Understanding and answering your friend’s call; Caring for your friend’s well being)
• “EFFORT” - Not just doing your best, but STRIVING TOWARDS A SINGLE GOAL.
• “VICTORY” - Not just winning, but GRABBING VICTORY FROM THE HEART, after numerous “Beautiful Defeats”.
These elements are vital in creating a manga that captures the heart of its readers!
Utilize one, two or all three of these themes and create a manga that shakes the soul of its readers!
These three golden principles are know well among Manga fans the world over. Originally, these very words were voted the most popular among Japanese children as the “most heartwarming”, “most precious” and the “most delightful word”, respectively. As a result, the people at JUMP believed these inspiring words represented what the reader wanted from their Manga, establishing them as the core of the JUMP editorial mission…the rest, as they say, is history.
Guidlines: From this round “SMA9”, all entries must be “16 PAGES OR LESS”. As a manga creator, you gain much more experience by completing “Short pieces, extremely well”.( If your creativity is flowing, please try to send “Several short stories”, than “One long story”! ) A creator’s ability to tell a story, through visual execution” is the main focus of evaluation.
• Your manga must be 16 pages or less. Use of the appropriate amount of pages for a theme is a part of the evaluation process. Organiser welcome short, focused stories.
• Your manga must start from A SINGLE PAGE, on the left side of the spread.
• All Manga is to be drawn for “Right-to-Left” (Japan standard) Page order. This is to help with the publication of the compilation volume.
• You are encouraged to make good use of “W-Page spread ( a pair of 2 adjacent pages in a book )” at all times. Treat each page pair (“spread”) as ONE WIDE CANVAS. Use “Mekuri (page turns)” other techniques for storytelling benefits.
• Pages MUST BE upload as “1 page / 1 Image”. For “W-Page Spreads”, each spread must be saved as “2 separate image files”.
• Images will be displayed on the web, exactly as you upload. Please TRIM AND CROP your images. All gutter, trim marks and other parts of the image you wouldn’t present to a reader, should be trimmed off.
• Those comfortable with preparing print-ready images may upload “print-ready” images as one .zip file, accompanying the separate page images. ( Doing so has no affect on the evaluation process – It ensures your work will be presented in the best image quality possible upon winning an award. )
• “NO DIALOGUE”. Use only drawings to tell your story.
Recommendations & advice:
• Don’t kill characters. Imagine entertaining athletes and audiences who gather for a sporting event.
• Utilize the 1st page, as part of the storytelling and not just a cover page.
• “Complex stories” are often inappropriate to tell in a silent manga. Plan ahead, before you begin the final drawing.
• “Simple message, told well” will be awarded higher than, “Complex story told not-so-well”.
• THE STORY ITSELF is NOT a part of the assessment. Instead, we see what “Message(s)” the story clearly presents to the reader – evoking emotions and feelings. The clearer the message, the higher the title will be awarded. No need for complex plots, and we strongly recommend to keep it short and focused.
• For all other guidelines and tutorials, please see our regular contents like “FAQ Section”, and tutorials like “Japanese Manga 101 with Taiyo & Mayu”
• While drawing can be a tough challenge, always remember to have fun and enjoy yourself. Then do your best to entertain the readers.
There is no entry fees for this competition!
Silent Manga Autodion SMA10 2019 is open to all manga artist worldwide.
There is no entry fee to participate!