The 5th annual AIA Film Challenge is now open for submissions for 2019! This annual competition offers a chance to highlight the ways entrants helped build stronger communities alongside civic leaders.
The AIA Film Challenge invites architects and filmmakers to collaborate to share stories of architects and civic leaders working together to create resilient and sustainable communities.
• Produce a three-to five-minute documentary-style film
• Each team should create a unique film that creatively answers the prompt: tell a story of how architects, civic leaders, and their communities are working together to create resilient and sustainable communities.
• Submissions must be videos (with sound) in digital format, must be in the form of an original documentary (narrative elements including animation and special effects are permitted, as well as usage of some third-party footage or footage previously shot by the entrant), must have a total run time between 3 minutes and 5 minutes.
• All Submissions must include original content created by the Team members during the “Submission” Period. Team members may use some original content created before the “Submission” period, but final submissions must include original content created specifically during the “Submission” period.
• Submissions must not have been submitted previously in any contest of any kind or previously exhibited or displayed publicly.
• Every film must include the AIA Film Challenge logo at the very end.
How to connect with architects or filmmakers?
If you want to connect with architects, you can reach out to your local AIA chapter, which can be found on the official website.
If you want to connect with filmmakers, reach out to local film organizations, film programs at schools nearby, or film festivals in your area. You may also utilize video sharing sites, such as Vimeo and YouTube, to discover filmmakers in your area, find a style you like, and get in touch with those filmmakers to see if they may be interested.
Ownership of the content submitted to the AIA Film Challenge will remain with the producers/filmmakers.
• Storytelling & Adherence to Prompt
- Does the Submission bring the prompt to life in an original, engaging and entertaining way?
- Does the film fall within one of the following categories: Equity and human rights, Architecture that strengthens our communities, Protecting communities from the impact of climate change, and Creating a more sustainable future.
- Does the film tell an inspiring story of an architect working on a project that will or is currently making an impact in the community?
- Is the story compelling, cohesive, and well crafted? Is the story unique, and does the storytelling hold the viewer’s attention?
• Architectural Placement
- Does the cinematography and visual approach portray architecture in an original and unique way?
• Technical Merit
- Cinematography quality, including composition, color levels, focus and camera control.
- Editing quality, including pacing, continuity, use of advanced or innovative editing techniques and use of special effects.
- Soundtrack quality, including originality of score, audio integration, audibility and clarity.
The CSpence Group staff will pre-screen all submitted films and select 10 to 15 finalists that adhere to the challenge guidelines and rules. The finalist films will make it to the final judging round. These films will be judged by representatives from The American Institute of Architects, CSpence Group, and professional filmmakers, producers, and directors from across the country.
A panel of judges made up of architects and film/media professionals will select the Grand Prize Winner, the Runner Up, and the Third Place Winner based on the films’ adherence to the prompt, storytelling arc, architectural placement, and technical merit. There is also a People’s Choice Award winner chosen by public voting that opens on August 19.
Winners will be announced on October 2019.
The deadline for submissions is August 12, 2019.
There is no entry fee to participate!
It's free to enter!
The AIA Film Challenge 2019 is open to filmmakers and architects in the United States and its territories.
Winners could win up to $10,000 plus hotel and travel for two to see your film screened at Chicago Ideas in October. Winners will also receive exposure on AIA’s online channels, as well as via partner film and architecture organizations.
Filed under ⇣
Further Informations ⇣
For all further information about you need to consult the official website: https://aiafilmchallenge.org/