Hida Furniture Award 2018 now is over!
CALL FOR ENTRIES: Hida Furniture® Festival” will hold a furniture design competition 2018 dedicate to wooden products for the future adopting the tradition, seeking for new designs of furniture made of domestic lumber using Hida’s techniques, with the aim of commercialization.
Following last year furniture design competition 2018 will be held by Hida Furniture® Festival in Hida-Takayama, an old city with history and tradition. This competition is for the wooden products in June 2018 adopting the tradition. Organiser advertise for new designs of furniture made of domestic lumber using Hida’s techniques, with the aim of commercialization.
The competition theme is “Designs for wooden products” and entry is open for proposal of designs for wooden products such as chair, furniture, lighting, sundries, and building products.
Japan has about 25 million hectares of forest (as of 2012), which is equivalent to two thirds of the area of the whole country. This ratio is one of the highest in the world, and in this sense, Japan can be called as a country of forest. In spite of such abundant resources, however, extensive use of cheap foreign lumber practiced for more than a half century has put the domestic forestry into an almost devastating situation. Forests have been left without adequate proper maintenance such as pruning and thinning, and thus they are increasingly losing healthiness. Essentially, forests can maintain their blessed and rich figure by keeping the “circulation or chain” of using trees and growing trees. They believe it is important to link the forest circulation with our daily consumption behavior by promoting development of products that are made of domestic lumber.
• Products are to be made of domestic lumber either entirely or partially
• Different materials other than wood may be used
• It is assumed that main processes of making products are performed in Hida
• (1 piece of A3 (420mm x 297mm) single-sided paper in landscape (horizontal) orientation)
• All submitted files must be PDF. All files must be 10MB or under in size.
• Please avoid using any special characters (", &, <, >, ©, etc) when naming your entry files.
• Rendering (Photo, CG, Illustration, etc.)
• Descriptive text (with in 400 letters (Japanese : 200 letters))
• Possible maker, possible market, assumed retail price, assumed tree species, processing method, three orthographic views (top/side/front), detail drawing, image in use, etc.
Applicants need to be able to communicate in Japanese or in English.
The number of applications is not limited.
Application will be accepted beginning Friday, June 1st.
Application Fees are:
• General: 3,000 Yen (that’s about $27)
• Students: 1,000 Yen (that’s about $9)
Who can participate? ⇣
Hida Furniture Award 2018 is open to students and those under 30.