Hida Furniture Festival in Hida-Takayama, an old city with history and tradition, will hold a Hida Furniture Award 2019 for wooden products following last year. To “nurture a tradition” for the future, while adopting the tradition. Organizer advertise for new designs of furniture made of domestic lumber using Hida’s techniques, with the aim of commercialization.
Japan has about 25 million hectares of forest (as of 2012), which is equivalent to two thirds of the area of the whole country. This ratio is one of the highest in the world, and in this sense, Japan can be called as a country of forest. In spite of such abundant resources, however, extensive use of cheap foreign lumber practiced for more than a half century has put the domestic forestry into an almost devastating situation. Forests have been left without adequate proper maintenance such as pruning and thinning, and thus they are increasingly losing healthiness. Essentially, forests can maintain their blessed and rich figure by keeping the “circulation or chain” of using trees and growing trees. We believe it is important to link the forest circulation with our daily consumption behavior by promoting development of products that are made of domestic lumber. Guildeline:
Entrants are asked to design wooden products (such as chair, furniture, lighting, sundries, and building products) that utilize Japanese domestic lumber and Hida's wood techniques, with the aim of commercialization. Submission requirements:
• (1 piece of A3 (420mm x 297mm) single-sided paper in landscape (horizontal) orientation)
• Rendering (Photo, CG, Illustration, etc.)
• Descriptive text (with in 400 letters (Japanese : 200 letters))
All submitted files must be PDF. All files must be 10MB or under in size.
Applicants need to be able to communicate in Japanese or in English.
Entries must be original to the applicant, and unpublished domestically and abroad. Also, they must not have been commercialized or planned to be commercialized.
The number of applications is not limited.
Applications will be accepted from May 20 until Monday, 8th 24:00 July 2019.
Criteria for review:
1) Whether advantages and characteristics of woods are utilized.
2) Whether it is in accordance with Hida Design Charter.
3) Whether it is assumed to be made in Hida.
4) Whether it has potential for a future product.
Result announcement is scheduled for September 4, 2019 (TBD).
• General: 3,000 yen（by 1 piece
• Students: 1,000 yen（by 1 piece）
Hida Furniture Award 2019 is open to students and those under 30.
The following prizes will be awarded:
• 1st prize (1): commercialization of product to be considered, extra prize of 300,000 yen
• 2nd prize (3): commercialization of product to be considered, extra prize of 30,000 yen