Silent Manga Audition SMA9 2018 now is over!
The Silent Manga Autodion SMA9 2018 is the 9th round of manga contest organised by Coamix corp of Japan is now open for submission and like every year offers to all manga creator a chance to work with manga pros from Tokyo.
Organised by Coamix corp of Japan and lead by CEO Nobuhiko Horie, Silent Manga Autodion is an event and manga contest, aiming to discover and support Manga (Japanese style comics) artists from around the world. By far this is the largest event of its kind.
Is an opportunity that any aspiring manga artist can’t afford to miss.
Intentions of Silent Mangaare strong and clear: to embrace the techniques used by early manga masters like Osamu Tezuka, on basis that manga is a “Motion Picture drawn on Paper”.
This is the “Original powers of Manga”, that made Manga, the unique medium of expression, loved by the people around world today.
This year theme is “Fairness” / “Respect” / “Teamwork”.
Life is a stage, life is a game and in some people’s mind, life is SPORT. There are many elements in our daily lives that we enjoy, that has elements of “sportsmanship” in them – SMA9 is about finding that moment, and re-creating it as one entertaining story! Please do not limit your imagination to physical sport or gaming match only, all moments of competition, fight, race or game in our daily lives. Trying to catch the attention of the girl in your class. Running to be at the front in line for an idol event, or to beat your friend in an online game… Have your felt “Fairness” / “Respect” / “Teamwork” in any of those? Can you imagine adding the theme to an actual event, to make them even more entertaining? Capture those moments, and re-imagine them as SILENT MANGA!
From this round “SMA9”, all entries must be “16 PAGES OR LESS”.
As a manga creator, you gain much more experience by completing “Short pieces, extremely well”.( If your creativity is flowing, please try to send “Several short stories”, than “One long story”! )
A creator’s ability to tell a story, through visual execution” is the main focus of evaluation.
1. Your manga must be 16 pages or less. Use of the appropriate amount of pages for a theme is a part of the evaluation process. We welcome short, focused stories.
2. Your manga must start from A SINGLE PAGE, on the left side of the spread.
3. All Manga is to be drawn for “Right-to-Left” (Japan standard) Page order. This is to help with the publication of the compilation volume.
4. You are encouraged to make good use of “W-Page spread ( a pair of 2 adjacent pages in a book )” at all times. Treat each page pair (“spread”) as ONE WIDE CANVAS. Use “Mekuri (page turns)” other techniques for storytelling benefits.
5. Pages MUST BE upload as “1 page / 1 Image”. For “W-Page Spreads”, each spread must be saved as “2 separate image files”.
6. Images will be displayed on the web, exactly as you upload. Please TRIM AND CROP your images. All gutter, trim marks and other parts of the image you wouldn’t present to a reader, should be trimmed off.
7. Those comfortable with preparing print-ready images may upload “print-ready” images as one .zip file, accompanying the separate page images. ( Doing so has no affect on the evaluation process – It ensures your work will be presented in the best image quality possible upon winning an award. )
Followings are “recommendations & advice”:
1. Don’t kill characters. Imagine entertaining athletes and audiences who gather for a sporting event.
2. Utilize the 1st page, as part of the storytelling and not just a cover page. 3. “Complex stories” are often inappropriate to tell in a silent manga. Plan ahead, before you begin the final drawing.
4. “Simple message, told well” will be awarded higher than, “Complex story told not-so-well”.
5. THE STORY ITSELF is NOT a part of the assessment. Instead, we see what “Message(s)” the story clearly presents to the reader – evoking emotions and feelings. The clearer the message, the higher the title will be awarded. No need for complex plots, and we strongly recommend to keep it short and focused.
6. For all other guidelines and tutorials, please see our regular contents like “FAQ Section”, and tutorials like “Ja8. panese Manga 101 with Taiyo & Mayu”
7. While drawing can be a tough challenge, always remember to have fun and enjoy yourself. Then do your best to entertain the readers.
8. Thank you for reading the small prints! Please spread the words to your friends
There is no entry fee for this cmpetition!
Who can participate? ⇣
This competition is open to all manga artist worldwide.
No Entry Fee!There is no entry fee to participate!