Off the Screen! Open for Proposals! - AAFF 2018 - International Media art festival
| by InfoDesigners | submitted by Irena Sibila
This competition has expired on
The call for applications is now open!
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: The Ann Arbor Film Festival seeks proposals for its Off the Screen!, an intermedia series featuring expanded and live cinema performances, new media installations (virtual and augmented reality, etc.), and educational salon sessions, to be held during the upcoming 57th AAFF.
• expanded and live cinema performances
• new media installations (including virtual and augmented reality)
• educational salon sessions
The organizer aims to present challenging and aesthetically potent works of art, and to create an environment for meaningful conversation about the culture of the moving image.
Expanded cinema performances could include, but are not limited to, projector experiments and live performances that interface with film or screen.
Expanded cinema performances could include, but are not limited to:
• projector experiments
• live performances that interface with film or screen
• VJ sessions and immersive environments for after parties
New media works of all sorts are considered for display in various locations (including the possibility of storefront windows, galleries, and the Michigan Theater lobby) throughout Ann Arbor during the Festival.
New media works of all sorts are considered for display during the festival week in various locations throughout Ann Arbor. Possible venues include storefront windows, galleries, and the Michigan Theater lobby. Salon session formats could include:
• lightning talks (Pecha Kucha–style brief presentations)
• process demos or lessons; concise “how-to” presentations by makers on technique
• moderated conversations
• panels, workshops, and guided discussions
The audience consists of the general public, filmmakers, writers, teachers, and film programmers. Artists are especially encouraged to propose a presentation that intentionally engages participants with material that complements the general content of the festival.
Salon Session formats could include: lightning talks (Pecha Kucha-style brief presentations), process demos or lessons (concise “how-to” presentations on technique by makers), and moderated conversations.
If you wish to conduct an activity or presentation, please submit a 400-word proposal for a work within one of these categories:
• an expanded cinema performance
• a new media installation
• a Salon Session
• Typically 5 to 45 minutes
• If your session requires a different time frame, please note the proposed length in your proposal
For all types of proposals, please include:
• a title and short description of the proposed activity or installation, including length (if applicable) and exhibition history (if applicable)
• the intended audience
• a detailed description of the technical requirements, including equipment needed, whether artist-supplied or to be shipped (please include shipping requirements)
• space requirements
• a 75-word bio
• an overview of previous work
Artists selected to participate in OTS! 56 are not eligible to be selected for OTS! 57.
Results will be announced on Wednesday, October 31, 2018.
The 57th Ann Arbor film festival 2018 is scheduled for 26-31 March, 2019 at the historic Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor, Michigan. There is no entry fees to participate!
It's free to enter!
For Off the Screen!, the Ann Arbor Film Festival traditionally partners with a variety of venues, including such spaces as:
• the Stamps Gallery at the University of Michigan (U-M)
• Space 2435 at the U-M’s North Quad complex
• 117 Gallery at the Ann Arbor Art Center
In addition, artists have the opportunity to present their intermedia work in storefront windows in the community and at the Michigan Theater.
Off the Screen! participants will receive a full 57th AAFF pass.
For all further informations about the Off the Screen! Open for Proposals! - AAFF 2018 visit the following official website: