The BP Portrait Award, the most prestigious painting and portrait competition in the world has been recently opened for entries inviting everyone aged 18 and over from around the world to participate.
After 30 years of sponsorship the BP Portrait Award still remains the most prestigious portrait painting competition in the world and represents the very best in contemporary practice. The Award is aimed at encouraging artists to focus upon and develop portraiture in their work.
• All submissions must be made online via the officila website. It's no longer accept postal entries for the competition.
• The work entered must be predominantly painted in oil, tempera or acrylic on canvas or board. No watercolours, pastels or works on paper will be considered. Self-portraits and group portraits are permitted.
• You are required to upload 1 photograph of your entire portrait. You also have the option to submit an extra photograph of a detail of the work. This may be a good opportunity to show the level of detail, the texture of the paint or a particular area of interest in the composition.
• If your work is not entirely complete at the time of registration you can still enter the competition. The first round of judging will be based on the image that you upload.
• Entry is limited to 1 entry per artist. The work must be no smaller than 25 x 20cm (10 x 8”) unframed and no larger than 244 x 244cm (96 x 96”) framed. Multi-part works (up to 3 parts) will be accepted and regarded as one work.
However, the combined parts of the part must not exceed the maximum size allowed. The work must have been completed after 1 January 2017.
• Submitted images must be saved as a jpeg format and be smaller than 3MB. The image must also be at least 1,080 pixels on its longest side (depending on whether it is portrait or landscape format).
Artists should upload a digital image of their work for a first round of judging. All images will be viewed by a panel of judges and the entrants who are successful in this round will be invited to deliver their work to a venue in London for the final round of judging and the exhibition selection, including Award-winners.
Only if the artist’s work has been selected for the second round of judging will they need to organise the delivery of their artwork to the judging venue between 25 February and 1 March 2019.
The BP Portrait Award 2019 exhibition will run at the National Portrait Gallery from 13 June to 20 October 2019.
The entry fee is £40.
The BP Portrait Award is open to everyone aged 18 and over from around the world.
The following prizes will be awarded:
• 1st Prize: a cash award of 35,000 GBP, plus, at the judges' discretion, a commission worth 7,000 GBP, to be agreed between the National Portrait Gallery and the artist.
• 2nd Prize: 12,000 GBP
• 3rd Prize: 10,000 GBP
• BP Young Artist Award: 9,000 GBP
• BP Travel Award 2017: 8,000 GBP
Filed under ⇣art painting portrait competitions students
Further Informations ⇣
For all further information about you need to consult the official website: https://www.npg.org.uk/whatson/bp-portrait-award-2019/exhibition/