• About •
Now in its 21th year, the Pastel 100, annual international painting competition organised by the the Pastel Journal magazine, America's leading magazine devoted to pastel artists, is open for entries for 2019 edition inviting all artists worldwide to submit they works made with a soft pastel.
• Landscape + Interior
• Portrait + Figure
• Still Life + Floral
• Animal + Wildlife
• Abstract + Non-Objective
• All entries must be submitted as digital files.
• There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit.
• Image requirements for entries: JPG files (Please try to keep the file size under 5 MB to ensure proper uploading).
• All entrants should be prepared to be able to send a hi-resolution print-quality replacement file should their entry be among those selected as a winner. For publication in Watercolor Artist, these files should be 300 dpi when saved at approximately 8×10 inches, ideally, and 5×7 inches at minimum.
• Work must be at least 80% soft pastel; no oil pastel . Nupastels and other “harder” pastels are considered soft pastels.
• All works must be original. Compositions based on published material or other artists’ work are NOT considered original and are not eligible. Paintings executed in a workshop under another artist‘s supervision or paintings based on another person’s photograph (even if it’s copyright-free) are NOT eligible.
• Work previously published in a national publication or receiving an award at a national-level exhibition at the time of submission to this contest is not eligible.
Entries will be prejudged and then finalists will be chosen by the magazine staff. Award winners and honorable mentions will be selected by the jurors. All winners will be notified by 31st October 2019.
The regular entry fee is $35 per image. All early-bird entries cost $30 per image and can be submitted until 5th August 2019.
• Eligibility •
The Pastel 100 – 21st Annual Painting Competition is open to artists from any part of the world, older than 16.
• Prize •
The Competition offers cash, prizes and publicity to its talented winners. The five top prizes include $10,750, from which $5,000 are reserved for the First Prize winner. All top prize winners and place winners will be featured in the April 2020 issue of the Pastel Journal magazine. Additionally, twenty-five (25) category prizes will be awarded to the first five winning works in each category.