RHS Photographic Competition 2019 now is over!
RHS Photographic Competition 2019 organised by Royal Horticultural Society, UK charity established to share the best in gardening, has been recently opened for entries, inspiring young and old alike to get outdoors and record how enriching and inspiring gardens and plants can be.
The RHS Photographic Competition 2019 is annual competition owned and run by the UK charity Royal Horticultural Society aimed at garden lovers, horticulturists and photographers alike. The aim of the competition is to promote high quality and beautiful photography.
This photography competition wants to share the best in gardening by encouraging people to share their two passions of gardening and photography.They inspire young and old alike to get outdoors and record how enriching and inspiring gardens and plants can be.
There are nine different categories in the competition, designed to have a broad appeal to aspiring entrants and cover different gardening-related topics:
1) Celebrating Gardens - consider elevated overviews from an upstairs window or simply images that capture the enjoyment people get from being in an outside space.
2) Welcoming Garden Wildlife - beautiful photographs of insects, birds and creatures found wild in your garden or garden surroundings.
3) All about plants - photographs could include the flower, stem and leaves of one single plant, or a clump of plants in their natural environment - show the beauty of plants and how they grow outside
4) Abstract - they want to be wowed by amazing images that challenge and make us think.
5) Urban Gardening - photographs could be a view of a windowsill in an urban flat or a small planted area in the suburbs - photographs may include people as much as plants.
6) Under 18s (age 11-17) - any photographs depicting something plant, garden or wildlife related that interests you.
7) Under 11s - any photographs depicting something plant, garden or wildlife related that interests you.
8) Social Media - any image can be entered into this category that is related to anything horticultural, gardening or wildlife
9) Portfolio - this unique category is judged for RHS medals and entrants must supply six images in a series, or based on a common theme or style. Shortlisted portfolios will be hung and displayed at an RHS Show in 2019, and will be judged as a display at the show. This category is open to both amateur and professional photographers.
Submissions to the Social Media category must be via either Twitter, Instagram or Facebook, and not via the RHS website. Images submitted in the Portfolio and Social Media categories do not preclude being entered into the other seven competition categories.
Categories 1-7 (excludes category 8, Social Media, and category 9, Portfolio)
• Entrants are permitted to enter 5 images to the competition via the website.
• Entries must be submitted digitally. Scanned negatives are accepted but must meet the criteria of digital image file requirements.
• Image entry file size must not exceed 4MB, and is recommended to be at least
• A high-resolution image with a minimum of 6MB, preferably over 10MB, will be requested if entries are shortlisted and entrants may be disqualified at the judge’s discretion if high resolution images are not provided when requested (with exception for entries to the Under 18s and Under 11s categories.)
• Images must not include watermarks, borders, or signatures.
• Black and white images are eligible for all categories.
• No single image may be entered into more than one category.
Category 9, Portfolio
• This category is open to both amateur and professional photographers and is judged for RHS medals.
• Entries which have been exhibited as printed photography at a previous RHS Show are not eligible.
• Entry into Portfolio does not preclude the photographer entering other categories of the competition, however the same images must not be used.
• To enter, send high-resolution digital files (minimum of 6MB) of your 6 images along with your name and email address using a file transfer tool such as WeTransfer to Photoportfolio@rhs.org.uk. Scanned negatives/prints are accepted but should meet the file size requirement.
• All entries will be reviewed by the Photographic Art Portfolio Judging Panel to create a shortlist. Shortlisted entrants will be invited to print, frame and display their photography series.
• Shortlisted entries will be exhibited and judged at an RHS Show in summer 2019.
• Shortlisted entrants must be in attendance on the morning of the RHS Show to hang and display their photographs and must also be in attendance on the last evening of the show to take down their photographs. More details about the dates of the Show will be confirmed early in 2019.
Category 8, Social Media
• Entries to the Social Media category must be submitted via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram by using the hashtag #RHSPhotoComp
• Any images shared on social media platforms using #RHSPhotoComp are subject to these Terms and Conditions.
• The category will run monthly from August 2018 to 1 March 2019. Each month’s draw will open and close at midday at the beginning and end of each month.
• Any Social Media entries submitted during July, when the RHS Photographic Competition officially opens, will be entered into the August competition.
• Each photographer is limited to submitting a maximum of 5 images in total per month.
• Each entrant may only win one monthly social media vote. Additional entries will not be selected for public voting.
• Images cannot be resubmitted into more than one monthly competition.
• Entries to the Social Media category do not account for the submissions in the rest of the RHS Photographic Competition.
• Entrants cannot enter the images submitted to the Social Media category into other categories, but are allowed to enter different images as they desire.
• Images are permitted to have watermarks but the entrant will be required to provide a non-watermarked high res version if they are monthly winner.
Entrants retain the copyright to any images submitted.
The judges of the 2019 competition are an expert panel, drawn from both the RHS and professional photographers.
Winners of categories 1-8 will be announced and exhibited at an RHS Show in summer 2019. Medals for category 9 (Portfolio) will be judged and awarded at an RHS Show and a ‘best in show’ will be awarded. After the RHS Show exhibition, a selection of images from across all 9 categories will be on display at RHS Gardens in summer 2019.
There is no entry fees to participate in this competition!
Who can participate? ⇣
The RHS Photographic Competition 2019 is open worldwide to both amateur and professional photographers.
No Entry Fee!There is no entry fee to participate!