RHS Photographic Competition 2018: Gerdening now is over!
RHS Photographic Competition 2018: Gerdening: Photography competition RHS organised by Royal Horticultural Society, UK charity established to share the best in gardening, has been recently opend for entries, inspiring young and old alike to get outdoors and record how enriching and inspiring gardens and plants can be.
The RHS is annual photography competition aimed at garden lovers, horticulturists and photographers alike. The aim of the competition is to promote high quality and beautiful photography.
The RHS wants to share the best in gardening by encouraging people to share their two passions of gardening and photography.
There are 9 different categories in the competition, designed to have a broad appeal to aspiring entrants and cover different gardening-related topics:
• Celebrating Gardens - get out and about photographing the very best of gardens – whether a spectacular part of an RHS garden or your own private space. From flower portrait to a wider view, or simply people enjoying the space around them, let your photographic imagination flourish and celebrate the essence of being in a garden.
• Welcoming Garden Wildlife - beautiful photographs of insects, birds and creatures found wild in your garden or garden surroundings.
• Pure plants - if you love capturing plants growing happily in their location, this is the category for you. Submissions should show a plant, tree or shrub as a whole or near-whole entity. For example a photograph could include the flower, stem and leaves of one single plant, or a clump of plants in their natural environment.
• Abstract - let your imagination, originality and creativity go wild – submissions can be a close-up of a plant or an abstract view of plants or gardens. Image manipulation and graphic approaches are also welcomed.
• Urban Gardening - whether you live in a flat, shared space or have a small outside terrace, all types of gardening can be undertaken in a city or town. Supporting the RHS Greening Grey Britain campaign, they aim to enrich everyone’s life through plants and make the UK a greener and more beautiful place – photographs could be a view of a windowsill in an urban flat or a small planted area in the suburbs.
• Under 18s (age 11-17) - any photographs depicting something plant, garden or wildlife related that interests you.
• Under 11s - any photographs depicting something plant, garden or wildlife related that interests you.
• Social Media - any image submitted via RHS Twitter, Instagram or Facebook accounts using the hashtag #RHSphotocomp. The image can be related to anything horticultural, gardening or wildlife.
The monthly shortlist will be selected by the RHS social media team and a the winner will be selected by their social media followers. Each monthly winner will then be fed into the competition judging for overall category winner.
• Portfolio - this category is for a compilation of six images in a series or based on a common theme or style. Is open to both amateur and professional photographers. Online entry will open in late summer.
Entrants are permitted to enter 5 images, not exceed 10MB, and is recommended to be at least 1200 pixels on the longest length. Black and white images are eligible for all categories.
Digital adjustments that maintain the integrity of the image are allowed but is not permitted to make any major physical change to the image apart from in the Abstract or Portfolio categories, where there are no restrictions.
Entrants remain the copyright holder to any images submitted.
Winners will be announced and exhibited during a summer RHS Flower Show.
There is no entry fee for this competition.
No Entry Fee!There is no entry fee to participate!
This competition is open worldwide to both amateur and professional photographers.