Modular Bookcase Design - International Product design contest
| by InfoDesigners | submitted by Irena Sibila
The call for applications is now open!
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: New Product Design Contest titled "Modular Bookcase Design" organised by Metalmeccanica Alba and realized on the site Desall.com inviting the international community of creative talents to design a new combinable, modular and easily dismantlable bookcase, for the historical AlbaComponents brand.
Italian manufacturing company AlbaComponents recently has launched new Product Design Contest titled "Modular Bookcase Design" inviting the international community of creative talents to design a new combinable, modular and easily dismantlable bookcase, for the historical AlbaComponents brand.
The AlbaComponents brand is looking for a new combinable, modular and easily dismantlable bookcase, with a great aesthetic value and in line with the founding values of the brand, always paying attention to the detail and in search for the perfection while designing its own products.
For the correct realization of your proposals, keep into consideration the following guidelines:
The object of the contest is the design of a mid-low price bookcase, with a combinable, modular and easily dismantlable design, able to distinguish itself from the competitors for its style and attention to detail, giving maximum importance to the aesthetic qualities of the product.
• Combinability and modularity: you are invited to design a modular, combinable and easily dismantlable bookcase, thus enabling the user – who will take care of assembling the bookcase autonomously – to customize her/his product along its height and width, obtaining a versatile and bespoke solution based on her/his needs and contexts of use.
• Researched style: in line with the AlbaComponents brand, your bookcase shall have a modern, minimal, technical style, very attentive to details and with a great aesthetic value. It is of the greatest importance that the components become the main characters of your products. At your discretion you are free to choose the color of the bookcase, as long as it suits well the various contexts of use. To learn more about the style, you are invited to have a look at the current product catalog.
• Functionalities and accessories: in order to allow for a greater customization and further distinguish itself from competitors, your bookcase shall have tilting shelves that – at your discretion – might be equipped with LED lights, thus contributing to enriching the product style and functionality.
• Mounting/fixing modalities: your bookcase shall have wall-mounting capabilities, as well as floor or ceiling mounting capabilities, while maintaining a self-standing structure. It is of the greatest importance to evaluate how the combinability and modularity of the bookcase will be able to meet these requirements.
• Size: the bookcase shall be made of modules measuring between 60 and 100 cm for the width and a height at your discretion, as long as it complies with the standard dimensions for this product typology. Besides, keep into consideration that the bookcase shall be easily dismantlable.
• Materials, production technologies and costs: the bookcase may be realized with several materials, including iron, aluminium, wood, plastics (for ex. for some details, joints, etc. surely not for the shelves) and glass. Keep into consideration the industrialization processes and the mass production technologies, in order to make the product feasible and manufacturable, with low production costs, given the mid-low price range of the product.
The price to the public for a two-sides and four shelves configuration will be about Eur 400 + VAT.
• Surface finishing: for the bookcase you may suggest various post processing finishes, such as coating, chromium plating or wood finish.
• Where to use: the bookcase shall be destined to indoor use and will be employed in multiple contexts from both the contract and residential sectors, including schools, offices, shops, meeting rooms, living areas, other furnishing components or other contexts for the community.
• Target: the final user will be made of a very broad and varied public, depending on the context of use (contract or residential) and the product will be destined to North America, South America and Europe, for a low-mid price range.
• Values to convey: your bookcase shall comply with the brand identity of AlbaComponents and thus advocate those values that have always characterized it, such as the attention to detail, precision, product customization, passion for work, backed by a great experience and know-how in the industry, a modern infrastructure and an on-going technological research.
Upload all the images that better present your projects (rendering, descriptions, CAD files, etc.), showing various configurations and compositions, in order to highlight the modularity and combinability of your bookcase and at least a photo-realistic rendering with the product placed in the context. You are also invited to submit the 3D files inside a .ZIP archive, where you may also add further additional materials. Submissions providing additional information about the components and the product feasibility will be greatly appreciated.
In the evaluation of your submissions the Sponsor will take into account the following criteria:
• Modularity (5/5)
• Technical feasibility (5/5)
• Aesthetics (4/5)
• Degree of innovation (4/5)
• Compliance with the brand (3/5)
Winner will be announced approximately before the end of February 2019.
There is no entry fees to participate!
It's free to enter!
Who can enter?
This product design contest is open to designers and creative talents of any nationality aged 18 years or older.
The 1st prize winner will be awarded with €4000.
Furthermore, for the duration of the option right, the Sponsor offers an extra chance to all participants setting a fee of Euro 2,500 for the purchase of the license for the economical exploitation of the projects not-acknowledged as the winning proposals.
For all further informations about the Modular Bookcase Design visit the following official website: