O bag design award - PRODUCT DESIGN CONTEST
| by InfoDesigners
This competition has expired on
The Call for Entries titled O bag design award is now open!
O bag design award
is calling for entries. Below you can find all details about this product design contest:
The O BAG brand and Desall.com invite all designers and creative talents to partecipate in new Product Design Contests designing the new version of the O bag, characterised by its minimal design, the unmistakable style and the many customisation possibilities.
The O BAG brand has been recently launched new Product Design Contest looking for the design of the new edition of their iconic combinable bag consisting of several components – body, handles, trim, inner bag and other accessories of your choice – creating a modular, customisable product, with a democratic price and an unmistakable style.
The brand O bag stems from the incredible success of the iconic and customisable bags and clocks.
Today, it is leader in the customisable accessory market, offering a wide range of products made of innovative materials, such as combinable bags, watches, sunglasses and bracelets.
The four principles on which the brand is based are:
• Modularity and Customisation: the client has the possibility to combine several components in order to create a unique and customised product.
• Materials: the plastic material is the trait-d’union among all the O bag products that ensure a strong identity, providing versatility and functionality.
• Democratic price & Easy Fashion: the O bag mission is to create “democratic” products with an easy fashion approach, based on a variable price that can satisfy a wide range of clients.
• Design: O bag is rooted in the design world: born in 2009 at the Salone del Mobile with its iconic “O clock”, it keeps creating products that are able combine fashion with design.
For the correct realisation of your proposals, keep into consideration the following guidelines:
The new edition of your O bag shall keep into consideration the feature of being a platform product, thanks to which the client is able to “build” her own bag, choosing among its several available components and so get a highly customised version. The components you are invited to design for the contest are:
1) Body: the basic component of the O bag, realized with a single mould, shall be available in various colours – a feature that characterises the brand – and feature a clasping system for hosting the components described below (handles, trim, inner bag, accessories). You may decide whether to invent a new clasping system – also providing an adapter that enables you to host the already existing O bag components – or to exploit the clasping system already in use. The dimension of the body of your bag shall comply with the current model, that is width 39 cm, height 33 cm, depth 12 cm, with a possible variation of +/- 5%. In order to ensure a certain continuity with the current O bag model, the new body shall be designed so to stand by itself, when placed on a surface.
2) Handles: your new O bag shall be equipped with handles fixed on the body through the clasping system of your choice. Given the great customisability of the bag, you are invited to propose one or more solutions choosing between short handles, long handles, shoulder straps, etc. with a wide variety of colours, in order to offer various colour combinations between the components of the bag. The basic configuration of the O bag consists of body and handles.
3) Trim: you are invited to design a decorative trim, fixed on the body through the clasping system of your choice. It shall represent a further component for the bag customisation, available in various materials (fabric, jute, faux fur, etc.) and different colors, also with a view to seasonality: for ex. faux fur trim for the winter edition and linen trim for summer edition. At your discretion you can evaluate whether your trim may offer additional functionalities, besides fulfilling its decorative purpose.
4) Inner bag: a component meant for organising the bag at best with pockets and dividers, available in a wide variety of colors and materials, it will be fixed on the body through the clasping system of your choice. As for the trim, also the inner bag shall be a detachable component, used at the client discretion, also with a view to seasonality. Currently the O bag inner bags feature a zip or coulisse closing – the proposals suggesting new closing modalities will be most welcome.
5) Accessories: in addition to the components described above, you are invited to design accessories useful for customizing or adding extra functionalities to your O bag. At your discretion you may also suggest the use of technological accessories, as long as they are not essential for the normal use of the bag but rather represent optional components one may choose during the customization of the bag.
Compatibility between O bag models: in case the components you design employ a different clasping system than the one currently used by O bag, it is fundamental that you design two adapters, the first to make the new components backward compatible with the O bag bodies already for sale and the second one to make the components already for sale compatible with the new body you design.
Materials: as a way to maintain continuity with the brand, the body of the new O bag shall be mainly made of
Design and style: your O bag shall have a great attention to design and aesthetics, presenting itself as a feminine, fashionable and democratic product, with a modular, minimal and highly customisable design. You may propose surface finishes realised on the mould, for example by suggesting the use of textures or other embossed elements.
Shapes: you are free to explore the shapes you prefer, as long as they keep aesthetic continuity with the brand and comply with the proportions of the body specified in the body paragraph. Besides, the new body shall be able to stand by itself when placed on a surface.
Colours: a distinctive trait of the brand is the wide range of colour variations it offers. In order to keep an aesthetic continuity with the O bag brand, you are invited to transfer this feature also to the new O bag, suggesting many different colour combinations between the various components of the bag (body, handles, trim, inner bag, accessories).
Logo: all your proposals shall feature on the body of the bag the O bag logo (available inside the Material files on the official website). The logo shall be realised on the mould.
Production technologies: the O bag you suggest shall be realised with industrial production technologies. The total production cost of the product must be placed within the range of 10-30 €. If you use the XL EXTRALIGHT® material, keep into consideration that due to its very conformation, it releases silicone material, which prevents the use of gluing, co-moulding or hot work processes.
Product positioning on the market: your O bag shall be a platform product that thanks to its modularity can satisfy a wide range of users, from the mass segment, where it will be particularly competitive, to the premium segment, where it will be perceived as a great value-for-money product. Thanks to its modularity, the O bag shall offer a wide flexibility in the pricing according to the components selected by the client, starting from a basic configuration consisting of body and handles – that will represent a very accessible product – to more complex configurations, featuring trim, inner bag and other accessories, with a view to a scalable price.
Target: the client typology to take into consideration for the new O bag is a female public, aged between 20 and 50 years. Thanks to the various components you suggest for its customisation, you are invited to narrow down this target group and identify a more restricted group of users to target according to the bag configuration you suggest, specifying which element gave you the inspiration for the project, the age group for which it is meant, the user typology of your target and the context of use. You are invited to describe this scenario inside the presentation of your project.
How to use: the new O bag may be used in several modalities, thanks to the wide availability of accessories and customisations, so to be carried by hand, worn over the shoulder or with a shoulder strap and customised according to the season, be it summer or winter.
Where to use: the O bag shall be designed mainly for use in the city or at the seaside.
Upload all the images that better present your projects (rendering, descriptions, CAD files, etc.) showing in at least one slide the various components and the modularity of your proposal. You are also required to briefly describe the target group you are addressing with the various configurations, specifying for each configuration the element that gave you inspiration, the age group for which it was designed, the user typology of your target, the context of use and some descriptive keywords. If necessary, remember that you can also attach a .ZIP archive containing extra materials.
Participants can present 1 or more projects, but only the projects published on the www.desall.com web site, via the upload page related to “O bag design award” will be accepted.
In the evaluation of your submissions by the O bag creative team the following criteria will be taken into account:
• Functionality/Usability (5/5)
• Technical feasibility (5/5)
• Economic sustainability (5/5)
• Compliance with the brand (5/5)
• Eco-compatibility (5/5)
Upload phase is from 9th August 2018 until 27th November 2018 (1.59 PM UTC).
The winner will be announced approximately before the end of January 2019.
There is no entry fees to participate in this competition!
It's free to enter!
Participation is open to designers and creative talents of any nationality aged 18 years or older.
The 1st prize winner will receive €5000.
For the duration of the option right, the Sponsor offers an extra chance to all participants setting a fee of Euro 2,500
Call For Entries Info
For all further informations about the O bag design award or to submit your works visit the following official website: https://desall.com/Contest/O-bag-design-award/Brief
Category: PRODUCT DESIGN CONTEST
Published by: InfoDesigners
Fees: NO ENTRY FEES!
Listed by: InfoDesigners